Chapter 45

"I'm going to check on him, he has been there a while," Oliver said and climbed to his feet.

Vinny watched him walk deeper into the heart of the library. He closed his book, so he could concentrate on listening.

Oliver peeked around until he spotted the demon sitting on the floor in between the bookshelves and staring into space. He hovered for a minute, but Kaiden didn't notice him until he asked, "Are you okay?"

"I told you not to talk to me," Kaiden growled.

"You did, but you're not giving me a reason to not feel concerned."

Kaiden rubbed his chest and climbed to his feet when Vinny appeared next to the human.

"He's missing his soulmate," Vinny whispered.

"I'm missing no one!" Kaiden yelled, his eyes turning black.

"Real convincing," Vinny sighed and took a firm grip on Oliver's wrist with caution. "Just go to him. Why are demon's so defensive about everything?" He started to pull his soulmate away, but a creamy glow caught their attention.

Milokan had arrived.

"What's wrong Kaiden? You are starting to panic." The young angel took his hand when Kaiden turned to look at him. His eyes were still as black as a moonless night.

"I can't do it without her. I can't live like this when I don't even know if she's still alive," the demon whispered.

"Oh Kaiden," Milokan sighed sadly and reached up to his shoulders. Kaiden crouched so Milokan could wrap his arms around his neck and hug him tightly. "Worrying will not give you answers."

They closed their eyes and breathed in each other's scent, feeling the bond settle and the pain in their chests mellow.

"I want to go home," Kaiden muffled into his shoulder. His voice cracked from the emotion in his voice.

Oliver rested a hand over his heart, and even Vinny's frown disappeared, feeling very sorry for him. They knew who the demon was missing, Madison had told them his struggles, so they didn't accidentally say something insensitive.

"You need to be positive for your mother's sake. It is what she would want from you."

"I'm trying," He pushed his face harder into Milokan's shoulder, hiding any evidence of tears. "It's making me weak. I can't think of anything else."

"You need time to mourn; then you can accept that you won't see her for a few years."

"It's not just a few years, is it? I won't see her for thousands, and that is the minimum amount."

Milokan rubbed his back until Kaiden suddenly stood up straight and wiped his face dry. Vinny and Oliver were staring at them, and he had let his emotions slip too many times.

"Kaiden-"

"I'm fine," he interrupted Oliver with a blank stare.

"It concerns me how you do that," Milokan sighed. "I dislike it when you change so fast."

"Learn to live with it," Kaiden muttered and picked him up. Milokan couldn't protest when they vanished, leaving the vampire and the human staring at the bookshelf.

"I've never seen a demon show emotion like that," Vinny sighed, realising that he did need to cut him some slack. Panuleon was right; they are scared.

Kaiden landed in the en-suite bathroom linked to their bedroom. He put Milokan down and pulled his t-shirt off.

Milokan crossed his arms and watched with narrow eyes.

"Stop, I'm fine," Kaiden grumbled while pulling off his jeans. "I just need to relax." He turned and entered the shower when his clothes were off. Milokan watched how he jumped out of the way when the water turned on automatically. It was icy cold.