Chapter 53

"Get under the covers as humans do," Milokan said and forced Kaiden's legs under the thick quilt, "You need to rest. Your mind needs to rest."

"I'm fine now," Kaiden groaned and pressed his head against the cushion. He couldn't deny that it was comfortable.

"You will feel even better if you rest."

After Panuleon healed his wings, Milokan calmed the demon enough for him to put them away. Panuleon and Corey left when Kaiden got changed into his regular clothes, and Milokan was trying to comfort him the best he could.

Kaiden looked at the feathers scattered around the room. It was getting late in the evening, and it would take Milokan hours to put them back into place. He wasn't ready to get his wings out again, so resting was the best option. Milokan would force him; he couldn't talk his way out of it.

"Fine." Kaiden rolled onto his side and pulled the angel close to him. "But if I'm resting, you are too."

"I don't-"

"I made you cry, I can tell by the change in your eyes. We're both a little damaged right now."

"I cried because I can feel your misery. You blocked me out, and it hurt."

"I know." Kaiden paused, reflecting on his words. "I'm sorry."

Milokan's lungs deflated, and he snuggled closer.

"I will rest too, you're right, I need it." Milokan remained silent, not having the energy to say more.

Kaiden lay still with a loose frown as the angels breathing slowed. Milokan didn't accept his apology, and the demon wasn't going to rest easy. He had to figure out how to stop snapping at him. He had to control his impulses. It wasn't fair on his soulmate for him to be so unpredictable.

* * * * *

It was late enough in the morning for the birds to chirp when Kaiden woke up. His head felt light and empty as he gazed sleepily around the room. His body was well rested, he could tell by having to stretch his muscles.

Milokan was sitting next to him, pleased that he was finally awake.

"Where are the feathers?" Kaiden mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"You woke me up by pushing me off the bed with your wings, so I took advantage and placed the feathers where they belong."

Kaiden turned with a smirk.

"I pushed you off the bed?"

"Yes," Milokan chuckled. "Many angels cannot control their wings when they rest."

"I'm no angel."

"No, but it is rare for demons to have wings."

"No kidding?" Kaiden scoffed with a yawn, feeling in a much better mood. "But thanks, it must have taken a while."

"Yes, but you slept a while, so it made no difference."

Kaiden sat up and pushed the duvet away. The room filled with golden sunlight. With the reflected snow from the garden, everything seemed a lot brighter.

"What are you smiling at?" Kaiden muttered. Milokan had a stupid grin on his face with cheeks pink and fresh.

"Your hair is messy."

Kaiden climbed out of bed and pulled off his t-shirt.

"You're supposed to tell me my hair looks great. I thought that was the rules of a soulmate?" he joked and walked over to a suspicious trunk lying neatly next to the door. "What is this?"