Chapter 39

Duke pushed the door until it was open enough for Kaiden and Milokan to peek inside. They slowly followed the man, feeling very cautious. The room was a substantial size with a high ceiling and a grey marble floor that shined against the chandeliers. The windows on the right stretched as tall as the ceiling, with red velvet curtains draping on either side. The dining table was as long as the room and had enough chairs to seat at least thirty people. On the left were plush looking couches with an enormous coffee table in among the comfortable seats. Paintings decorated the walls, right until the exit opposite the entrance, leading out and into the garden. Next to the glass door was a fireplace, nursing gentle flames.

The boys looked around, meeting the eyes of surprised but suspicious gazes. The demon alarm had done its job of raising panic.

Kaiden glared at the man in the waistcoat, instantly receiving a scowl in return. He could tell Vinny was stubborn like him.

Milokan chewed on his bottom lip when the chatter stopped rather swiftly. He wasn't sure what he expected, but nothing looked out of the ordinary in this world. He thought there would be considerable differences in its appearance.

"Everyone, this is Milokan and Kaiden," Duke boomed. He turned to the angel, avoiding the demon completely. "Boys, this is everyone."

A tall man stepped forward with kind hazel eyes and a soothing smile. His features sparkled, even when he watched Kaiden.

"My name is Panuleon," he beamed, Milokan should have guessed by his white outfit or his eyes that could hold a thousand secrets. "I have to say; we didn't expect you so soon. Kaiden, let me heal your injuries before you explain to us what you know about the war."

"Don't touch me," the demon growled and stepped back, pulling Milokan with him.

"I can heal you, all I need to do is hold your arm-"

"No."

"Kaiden, this is Panuleon, Jeronah talked about him. You can trust this angel," Milokan whispered, but when he made contact with those amber eyes, he knew Kaiden was not in the mood to relax around others.

Panuleon was watching him, carefully examining the forming bruises and the dry blood from his nose and lip.

"Interesting," he murmured and turned his attention to the young angel when he knew Kaiden wouldn't accept his offer.

"And your name is Milokan?"

"Yes," Milokan smiled, but it faded when Panuleon watched him with an expression he couldn't understand. It reminded him of the stares he would get in heaven.

"It's great to meet you both," a short human said behind the angel, interrupting Panuleon's stare. "I'm Corey, Panuleon's soulmate."

"What is this place?" Kaiden asked bluntly.

"Our home."

"So, um... we were told that Panuleon and Corey are couples paired for war by the angels. Is there others here?" Milokan was quick to ask before the silence felt awkward.

"Yes," Panuleon turned. "Vinny, along with his soulmate, are like us. My child and their child have a special bond too. Oh, and there's another couple in one of the other worlds. They are werewolves."

Milokan scrunched his brows together.

"What are werewolves?"

"We can explain that another time," Corey said. "Would you like to be introduced to everyone? It's okay if you forget their names, there are quite a lot to remember."

Milokan nodded, a little eager to know who everyone was.

"Well, that's Vinny..." he trailed off when Milokan looked rather unimpressed. "I can see you've already met. Um, that's Oliver, Vinny's soulmate."