Chapter 27

The next morning, Kaiden travelled to a different city to pick up some basic toiletries for himself and his mother, aware that his hair needed washing and he had to clean his teeth. During the night, they moved locations and were camped out on a beach which had no human access, unless they abseiled down the cliff or travelled by boat. It was not the right time of year for beach visits as Autumn now transitioned to Winter. The days were cold, and the weather was unpredictable, so humans were likely to stay away.

Milokan had taken his shoes off and buried his feet in the sand. It felt soft but a little gritty in between his toes. He gazed at where the sand met the water. He watched the horizon, trying to detect another country. Meloras had said that the closest land was France and they should visit. Only when they could be generous with their time.

The young angel narrowed his eyes, but no matter how hard he stared, he couldn't see anything. Before he moved his concentration, his vision was suddenly blocked, and his face made contact with something stern. Due to his feet being planted firmly in the sand, he lost his balance and fell to the ground.

Kaiden didn't even flinch when he almost landed on his soulmate. He looked down with arms full of things he had stolen.

"Why are you standing right there?" he muttered.

"Why did you land right there?" Milokan shook his head, amused. "Here, let me help."

The demon watched as he took things from his grip, sharing the load. He almost grumbled a 'thank you', but his pride was too strong.

"What are these?" the angel questioned and examined a box of washing tablets.

"They will help to keep my clothes fresh."

"Oh, fascinating."

"Not really," sighed the demon with a funny frown. "Where's my mother?"

"Over there." They turned when Milokan pointed to some rocks. Meloras and Jeronah sat close. They appeared to be in a deep conversation. "Are you sure your mother and Jeronah have never met before?"

Kaiden's stare made the angel shift uncomfortably.

"Why?" he demanded.

"Well," Milokan looked down, finding his stare too intense, "she looks at him like he's familiar to her."

Kaiden turned back and watched her smile at something he said. It was friendly, warm and a little too relaxed. He said nothing and dropped the toiletries onto a rock, sheltered by a big cave.

"You're observing it too much. My mother would tell me if she knew him."

"I guess you are right." Milokan linked his fingers and thought about paddling in the sea. "Kaiden, if the devil comes to earth, how will he find us?"

"If you keep leaving rifts in the air and if we get spotted by other demons, I suppose." He sat on the sand and ignored the fact that Milokan sat in front of him, close enough for their crossed legs to touch at the knees.

"I am a little worried, though. I do not want anyone to get hurt." The angel didn't exactly want to meet the master of evil either.

"I haven't killed anything in days, and the first chance I get, I will make him wish he was dead."

"What happens if he brings an army of demons with him?"

"Then I'll expect the angels to help. They have said that we're special and if they need us for the future, we're not going to get killed now."

"It is not necessarily us that I am worried about." Milokan glanced across the beach and watched the adults on the rocks.

"Don't think like that. Don't plan to fail."