Chapter 54

Milokan was knocked off his feet by Kaiden's wings for the fourth time that day. Now, looking less amused than before, he climbed to his feet and brushed the snow from his trousers.

"Are you doing that on purpose now that you have learnt how to control them?" he questioned, feeling suspicious.

"What do you think?" Kaiden mumbled, glancing at him from the corner of his eye.

"I think that you are."

"Then you would be right."

Milokan looked down, trying to hide a little smile which Kaiden often caught him doing. The demon didn't know why he had a habit of covering his happiness, but he could never hold back the warm feeling he felt about his sweet nature.

"Well, I am glad you can control them."

Kaiden groaned. Rolling his eyes, he said, "You're too nice, where's your rage?"

"Are you trying to make me angry?" Milokan frowned.

"Maybe."

"Why?"

Kaiden shifted on the bench and dug his feet deeper into the snow, only then noticing how Milokan was short enough that even his shoes didn't skim the snow.

"Entertainment," he shrugged.

"And?"

"And what?" Kaiden crossed his arms, resisting the temptation to nudge him into the snow.

"And what else?" Milokan challenged.

"And I want to see what makes you angry, like really angry."

"Why?"

"Entertainment."

Milokan shook his head and peeked into the dining room behind them. Duke smiled through the glass, but the angel saw his thoughtful stare before that.

"They watch us when we are not looking."

"I know," Kaiden sighed. "They watch me because they don't trust me to be alone with you."

"No," Milokan shook his head and jumped off the bench, "They watch you because you are different and confusing."

"Is that so?" Kaiden hummed. "I still feel them watching me from a distance or glancing at me for longer when I look away. They think I'm stupid."

"Well, I suppose they have only met stupid demons. You must be proving them wrong." Milokan crouched and picked up a handful of snow. He watched it melt and drip down his wrist. "We never did get a chance to go swimming yesterday. Can we go today?"

"You don't have to ask. If you want to go swimming, then go swimming."

Kaiden felt a gust of wind stroke his skin, forcing its way through his hair. He shivered and looked up. The grumpy clouds had grown closer. He was keeping an eye on it, so the storm didn't catch them by surprise.

"We should go, the weather's changing."

Milokan turned and watched the sky.

"Interesting," he mumbled before Kaiden held his arm and dragged him through the garden. "Why do you pull me everywhere? I am very capable of walking by myself."

After hesitation, Kaiden said, "It's icy," and looked away, but Milokan saw a glimpse of heat rushing to his cheeks. The demon didn't want him to know that he was caring about his wellbeing.

Milokan took the opportunity to be closer and cling to his arm. Just in case he did fall, Kaiden would stop him from hurting himself.

As they reached the door, Kaiden stopped and watched Zachariah laughing and talking happily with Jenny.