Chapter 24

The demon landed next to the pond with the angel tightly in his grip. Milokan was shaking; he couldn't breathe to calm himself down. He was getting swamped with his stress. Kaiden stood for a moment. Now that they were alone, he didn't know what he was doing. His soulmate silently cried, trying to pull himself together. Milokan should not be going through it alone, but the demon didn't know how to comfort someone.

Kaiden walked over to a shaded area and sat down. Milokan put his head in his hands and tried to steady his breathing.

"Why are you breaking down?" the demon questioned, trying to keep his tone somewhat gentle.

"I-" Milokan lifted his head and tried wiping away the tears. "I am not good with death."

"Is that it?" Kaiden frowned. "The demon's death overwhelmed you?"

"It is not just that."

"Well..." The demon was a little out of his depth, "what is it?"

"I fail at most things," sniffed the angel. "I was holding you back and putting your mother in danger. They were always right about me. I will fail at life."

Kaiden's heart crippled when Milokan's head fell against his shoulder. He couldn't stop the tears; he just needed to let them flow.

"Who told you that?"

"My superior angel," he muffled against him. Even his voice quivered from misery.

"They're wrong." Kaiden watched as birds lined the trees and squirrels appeared in the open. Rabbits and mice poked their heads up and out of the long grass, all watching with concern. "You are brave, I've always thought that of you."

Milokan furrowed his eyebrows; he could feel that he was not lying.

"I don't see it."

Kaiden sighed and allowed his arms to wrap around him, no longer fighting against his feelings. His eyes glared at the animals, but right now, his soulmate was his main priority.

"When I first tried to capture you, you kicked me so hard that if Sally didn't capture us, you would have gotten away. It was after being abandoned by your superior, so I don't see what's not brave about that," Kaiden spoke softly. The angel's tears had soaked his t-shirt, and it surprised him that he didn't care. "You have a lack of experience on earth. Your entire life has changed, and you are putting all of your faith into me, which would overwhelm anyone. I suppose, feeling this way is only natural."

The angel's eyes leaked desolation. The overbearing feeling of forever being alone haunted his thoughts. His soulmate was right in front of him, and he still felt so isolated.

"I am used to rejection. I should have expected it from the one person who I thought would guarantee love and happiness. I do not know what I have done to deserve such a fate." Milokan looked the demon deep in the eyes, revealing his damaged spirit. "I did not realise how broken I was until I met you."

A surge of remorse sank Kaiden's heart. It took the truth of an angel to expose his deviant and monstrous personality. He could see his own faults when they were affecting someone in such a negative way. It opened his eyes, and he was able to look into his own soul. He could see only darkness and scars. It had to change. Milokan needed to light it up with his kindness, his love and his beauty. He could not overcome his demon traits without him and only now did he realise how much he had to get rid of them.

"I'll fix you," he blurted out, horrified that he has acted this way. "It's the least I can do. I-" his voice choked, and Milokan watched with troubled eyes. The effects that his sadness was having on the demon did shock him. He didn't think it would bring out his insecurities too.