Chapter 17

Kaiden's grip felt strong and comforting as his arms wrapped tightly around Milokan. A sense of tranquillity rushed through him. He could feel the angel gripping him back. His small hands clung to the back of his t-shirt, hiding them within his open jacket.

The demon knew the angel would accidentally leave a rift for the other hell-hounds and he could not afford for him to make careless mistakes. Now that he was comfortably in his arms, he never wanted to let go. He didn't want to feel that way, yet he had no choice. His senses were too overbearing.

After a few long minutes of Milokan pressing his face against the fabric of Kaiden's t-shirt, his feet landed on something sturdy, and the wind subsided. Reluctantly, he pulled his head back and looked up. A dark shadow cast over Kaiden's face who watched his mum land in front of him. His amber eyes flashed relief until he glanced down and his features lost any expression. Milokan, at that moment, would have taken the demon's breath away. Those glistening emerald eyes were studying him with wonder. They looked simply magical.

However, Kaiden, like the stubborn demon he is, unhinged the angel's arms from his waist and pushed him away.

"What did you promise me?" Meloras hissed when the angel was not able to hide his pain of rejection. Kaiden scowled and turned to inspect their surroundings.

They stood in a very filthy alleyway. Bin-bags full of foul-smelling trash covered the ground. Animals had sniffed out any food and took it with generosity. The brick walls of what was assumed to be a restaurant laid in grime and grease from the years of being neglected.

Milokan screwed his nose and started to climb over the rubbish, desperate for sweet smelling air.

"Why did you bring us here?" Meloras pulled on her son's arm and followed the petite angel. Kaiden shrugged and braced himself to be surrounded by humans. He knew they were in a city. It would be harder for other demons to find them if they tried to blend in. Although, with an angel, it might be difficult.

Milokan stopped when he reached the kerb. His eyes got drawn to a person peddling on a strange contraption that moved them along with two sturdy wheels.

"Wow," He breathed. "How practical!"

Meloras quickly stood in front of him, blocking his view.

"Don't draw attention to yourself. We need to go somewhere secluded because you and my son need to talk."

"Do not draw attention to myself?" He repeated. "I am not the one running from demons-"

Kaiden reached over and shoved him.

"Shut up and keep your voice down."

Milokan very nearly exposed his wings when irritation thumped through his veins.

"Do not be rude."

Kaiden turned so his glare could leak freely without guilt if he directed it at the angel. He stormed down the street, deciding to take charge and keep moving. Milokan and his mother rushed after him, weaving in and out of the people on the busy pavement. So many sounds captivated the angel, but he couldn't stop to soak in the culture. Maybe one day soon, he could wander freely with Kaiden in a better mood.

When they adventured away from the main streets of the city, it was considerably quieter, and eventually, they found an area with a huge pond that seemed deserted. It sat next to a row of wealthy looking houses but just out of sight for prying eyes.

"What is going on?" Milokan questioned, ignoring the natural beauty of his surroundings.

"I escaped hell. That is the real reason my son left you, to help me."