Chapter 21

The sunrise was magnificent. The young angel laid on his back and watched the sky turn from very dark, to red, to a beautiful bright blue. He gratefully breathed in the fresh morning air, feeling content on earth and hoping it would only get better.

Kaiden had changed with a clean body and clean clothes. He felt better and knew that they would soon have to go to human shops to buy things to keep his body smelling nice and his teeth feeling clean. Meloras had wandered down the river to give the boys privacy. She didn't want her son to feel like she was judging his every move and while she had the time, she washed too.

"Can you teach me how to defend myself?" Milokan asked. Kaiden was lying a few meters away, and they both felt the strain of the bond. So far, there seemed to be no time limit to their separation. It always hurt when they didn't make a physical connection.

"Not right now," the demon muttered with closed eyes, shielding them from the sun.

"Later?" Milokan watched him shrug and considered that to be good enough. "Can you also teach me how to keep rifts closed when I fly?"

"Later," Kaiden growled with a harsher tone.

A bird flew down and perched on the angel's shoulder when he fell silent. Milokan held out a finger, and the Robin landed on it. He stroked the little bird, doing his best to remain tender and calm.

"What are you doing today?" He whispered with a growing smile. Kaiden opened an eye and watched him with both curiosity and irritation. The bird chirped back and the angel nodded.

"You're talking to birds?" He scoffed and crossed his arms. "You look crazy."

Milokan ignored him when another bird of a different breed landed on his knee.

"Hello," He beamed, inspecting its marvellous black and white feathers. "Where do you live?" A groan from the demon annoyed him. "Do not complain. Let me live my life in peace."

Kaiden sat up with a scowl. He didn't want animals to attack him but the need to kill still lingered in the back of his mind.

"We should leave." He stood up and looked around for his mother. She had just gotten dressed and was walking back to them. "We have been here for too long."

Milokan said goodbye to the birds and stood up too. His chest was beginning to ache. He could just about cope with it but didn't want to complain. Rushing the demon was not his intentions, but he surely knew the pain they were going through, he could feel it too.

"Is this our life now? Running from one spot to another? We need to come up with a plan."

"We have," snapped Kaiden. "We keep running until Lucifer comes after us, then we'll figure something out."

Milokan shook his head.

"Shall I try to talk to an elder angel?"

"You can try," Meloras spoke when she was close enough. "I know they are hard to talk to."

The boys watched her with narrowing eyes.

"And how would you know that?" Kaiden was a little demanding. His mother pursed her lips. She had revealed something.

"We should go-"

"No." Kaiden had enough of the secrets. "What are you hiding from me?"

"Now is not the time."

Kaiden then dismissed her feelings.

"You have been saying that my entire life. There's quite clearly a big part of me that you're hiding. I have the right to know, so stop lying and just tell me."