Chapter 44

"I have eighteen years of catching up to do," Zachariah chuckled, wiping the tears from his cheek. "I must know everything about your life, Milokan. The good and the bad."

The young angel smiled, feeling his trust in Zachariah growing by the second.

"I would like to know a lot about your life too."

"Kaiden," Zachariah looked the demon confidently in the eyes, "would you mind if myself and your soulmate went for a walk together? Or does your bond have a limit?"

"We don't know the limit," Kaiden said bluntly, showing his dislike for the idea through his frown.

"Well, it hurts when we are not touching, and it gets worse over a few hours, even if we are right next to each other."

"So, you have to be touching to feel okay?" Jenny questioned. "How do you feel now?"

"I feel a little tug," Milokan turned to face the demon, "in my chest. It will be alright Kaiden. I will be safe because he is my father."

"You have only just met him."

"Yes, but Panuleon trusts him. We will not be long, and if you worry too much, I will feel it and come back to you."

Kaiden stepped forwards and cupped his chin. He leant down with a stern look.

"If I feel even an ounce of stress or fear from you, I will come, and my trust in Zachariah will never grow."

Milokan looked him dead in the eyes. Something about his gaze was incredibly confident.

"I trust that you will save me if I am in a challenging situation. That should be enough for you. Go and explore Kaiden." He smiled sweetly and removed the demon's fingers from his chin. The physical contact was intentional; they needed to reset their limit.

Kaiden didn't look happy. In fact, his glare was somewhat terrifying, and Zachariah felt guilty.

"You can come with us if you would prefer? I understand how daunting this must be for the both of you," he suggested.

"No," Kaiden sighed, "but if you hurt him, I will kill you."

Zachariah nodded quickly. He heard the truth in his words, the demon meant it.

Milokan watched his soulmate storm out of the room and walk down the corridor with hands turned into fists.

"he is not that bad when you get to know him," he chuckled.

Zachariah beamed in return, trying to get used to seeing his son standing in front of him.

Kaiden turned a corner, having no idea where he was or where he was going. A small part of him felt empty. It has been a little while since Milokan wasn't right next to him. He took a steady breath, knowing Milokan needed his freedom and he had no right to take it away.

He stopped when he reached a big painting of Vinny and Oliver. He crossed his arms and looked at it, unimpressed. They looked young, maybe the same age as him. Next to it was another painting, they looked older, and it included Rayvon in between them, smiling happily.

"I am very proud of my son."

Kaiden turned to see a woman standing behind him. He recognised her as Madison, Vinny's mother. They were introduced in the dining room yesterday. She is a beautiful woman and has aged very well for a lady in her mid-sixties. She wore twinkling jewellery and a tight but tasteful dress. Her eyes were the same chocolate brown as Vinny's, yet hers had kinder tones and didn't look dark and mysterious.

"He has come a long way in life," she smiled. Her lip gloss shone against the chandelier lighting. "If he can find happiness, I am sure you will too."