Chapter 23

Do you think this should be in the Fantasy section or the Romance section? I'm not sure.

- Sian

"Stand still!" Kaiden growled, tired of repeating himself. Milokan linked his fingers together and stood up straight. "Keep your wings still too." The demon had grown to feel immensely bored. In hell, he often had jobs that would waste hours at a time. On earth, all anyone could do was wait and hope that the demons do not find them. It was filling the angel up with anxiety, so Meloras forced her son to keep the angel's mind busy.

"Is that the trick? To stand very still?" The young angel asked, still confused.

"Yes. When you fly, you jump before you leave and that is what's causing the rift to open."

"Oh." Milokan frowned and tried once more. He disappeared but failed instantly. When he landed a meter away, he fell onto the grass with a frustrated sigh. "It is difficult."

"It's not, you're just uncoordinated."

Milokan climbed to his feet and flapped his wings, enjoying the cold air running between his feathers.

"I know, that is my greatest flaw."

Kaiden clenched his jaw, knowing that his clumsiness is something he is starting to cherish. Odd imperfections are what soulmates admire and appreciate. Maybe Milokan will find an unusual characteristic of the demon which he will excessively love.

"Try again," he muttered.

Milokan focused on his feet and took a breath, Kaiden watched, and before he even left, he knew he would fail. When the angel landed once more, he stumbled into the demon who stood behind him and gripped his waist.

"Stand still and close your eyes."

The angel's senses burnt his chest. Kaiden's cold hands started to feel gentle when they touched him. Milokan closed his eyes and pressed his wings against the demon's chest. Kaiden felt how soft and how warm the feathers were.

"Imagine that I'm not guiding you and try to fly now," he mumbled.

Milokan stretched his wings, and Kaiden smelt his flower-like scent. It fluttered his heart before they vanished, landing only a meter away in less than a second. The supernatural beings turned, and there was no rift in sight.

"You have to relax and let the sky guide you."

Milokan tilted his head with warm eyes.

"You can be wise, sometimes."

"You still have no common-sense."

The angel chuckled, and Kaiden faced away. He had to stop himself from looking anything other than grumpy.

"Try again," he spoke, distracting himself.

Milokan closed his eyes and focused on what it was like when Kaiden held him still. He flapped his wings, he stood up straight and didn't move his body a single inch. Holding his breath, the angel vanished once more. Kaiden raised an eyebrow when he landed very smoothly. His observing eyes didn't detect a single stumble.

"Good." He turned and started walking away, but Milokan ran in front of him.

"Where are you going?" his eyes sparkled with pride. He had successfully flown without creating rifts. Although, he should have known how to do that from a young age.

"To watch the sea."

"May I come too?"

Kaiden groaned and continued to walk. Milokan didn't hear his rejection, so he followed.