Chapter 48

Milokan watched the orange glow of the sunset against the dramatic outline of the Vanderwood mansion. A foot of snow was left behind after the miniature blizzard. The temperature was cold enough for the snow not to melt away when the clouds cleared.

The angel glanced at Kaiden, smiling to himself. His eyes resembled the warmth of the sky.

"So, snow is very cold to humans?" he questioned.

"Obviously, it's ice." Kaiden made the snow in his hands into a ball as they sat on a bench in the middle of the maze. They found the middle when the demon started to deny any evidence of being lost after wandering the maze for two hours. Milokan flew to the middle and found Kaiden again to guide him.

"You are trying to make me feel stupid."

Kaiden glanced at him from the corner of his eye and said, "I don't need to try." He watched how Milokan raised an eyebrow, and he was starting to enjoy his attitude.

"In a few thousand years, when I know everything about the earth, you will not be able to take advantage of me anymore." Milokan wrapped his arms around Kaiden's arm and hugged it. Last week, Kaiden would barely let him touch his hand.

"I guess I'll have to use my time wisely then," Kaiden said, finding it comforting that Milokan will still be with him for years to come.

The young angel chuckled and waved his legs, his feet too short to touch the ground as Kaiden's could.

"I guess you will."

Kaiden moved his arm from Milokan's grip and placed it around his shoulders instead, pulling them closer on the bench. Milokan rested a hand on his leg and lent against him.

"Do you think Vinny will show me his vampire teeth if I ask him?" Milokan assumed he was a vampire, he couldn't sense that he was a human, and there was an unusual power around him.

"I doubt it," Kaiden sighed. "Maybe ask Rayvon, he's less likely to want to bite you if you ask."

"You and Vinny are similar. I am sure, just like you, that once we get to know him, he will be kind and nice."

"I'm not nice."

Milokan looked up, meeting his sunset eyes.

"You are nice to me."

"Yeah, but that's you. I'm a demon; it's my goal in life to be grumpy and hate everyone."

"Which is also what you dislike too. I know you hate the judgement, but you give them something to judge you for."

"I know, I don't think it's a part of me that'll change for a while."

"It might never change. If you are kind to me, I do not mind how you are with others, as long as you are not unnecessarily nasty."

"I'm sure you'll yell at me anyway," Kaiden said, playfully jabbing the angel in the side, but his face remained serious. "I was going to hit Rayvon for no reason today. I just... I can't control it."

"You will learn. Rayvon forgave you and did not question you about it, which means he understands. They have dealt with demons, and it is not new to them that you will have issues with your anger. They see that you are trying, especially when you apologised. You are compromising, and so are they."

"I would have felt bad if I did hit him. I guess feeling remorse is a start. Usually, I wouldn't feel guilty."

"That is good Kaiden," Milokan beamed before he stood and gently pecked him on the cheek. Their hearts skipped a beat, feeling a flutter of affection in their chests. "Shall we head to the mansion? Zachariah said... or should I call him dad?"