Chapter 18

Kaiden sat on a tree stump. He linked his fingers together and stared at the angel who was perched peacefully by the side of the pond. Milokan released his wings and stretched them. He doesn't know how to keep them hidden for long periods of time. In heaven, all angels live with them freely exposed. Kaiden found himself a little fascinated by how soft they looked. The creamy glow is visually pleasing, and he wanted to feel their warmth.

Glancing a little to his right, his mother sat with her eyes closed, thinking of a plan. They could not run forever, and they needed to think of a way to stop demons from following them. It was no life for her son or Milokan, especially now that they have no real home.

The demon took his eyes back to Milokan, that is when his heart calmed the most. He had to be in his sights for him to feel somewhat settled. A gentle pull of pain covered their chests from the lack of physical contact. Their knowledge of bonds was not enough to understand that they could only spend a small amount of time apart before being close again.

Milokan frowned with discomfort and watched Kaiden stare at him out of the corner of his eye. A mutual silence was the only thing he was lucky enough to get. The demon didn't want to talk to him, yet he was eager to understand a soulmates connection.

After a few moments of discomfort, the pain in their chests was getting worse. Milokan stood up and pressed his wings against his back. He turned to face Kaiden who looked at his hands, pretending that he hasn't spent the majority of his time staring at him. Milokan pretended like he hadn't noticed and trudged through the grass, careful not to crush the daisy flowers. When he was only a few feet away from the Demon, Kaiden tensed, and his eyes grew anxious.

"What?" He muttered and started picking at his nail.

"May I hold your hand for a moment? My chest is hurting." Milokan stood incredibly still, yet Kaiden could only acknowledge him, nothing else.

"No."

"It will only get worse-"

"Good."

A frustrated sigh left the angels lips. Kaiden watched his feet and how he shifted with impatience.

"Please?"

The demon glanced at his mother. She was still deep in thought, and it was his turn to sigh. He did promise her that he would treat Milokan better than this. Rolling his eyes, he held out his hand without looking up. It took the angel a mere second to place his warm hand on top of his cold one. The demon's skin was rough, and his hand was much larger than his.

When Kaiden felt his fingers curl around his wrist, his entire body relaxed, and he could breathe with ease. Now that the pain had gone, he didn't realise how much it hurt. Milokan must have been suffering but not once did he complain as he should have.

His amber eyes took a quick look at Milokan's face, which is when he lost himself to his gentle expression. His lips curled into a grateful smile; his rosy cheeks looked warm and sweet. Those emerald eyes, so wise and tired but somehow so beautiful and captivating. His brown hair, slightly messy but added to his fascinating character. Perfection was standing right in front of him, yet the demons arrogance chose to take it for granted.

Just as he pulled his hand away, a dark flash and a loud crash distracted his attention. Meloras gasped and looked up. A dominant figure ran towards her in the low light of the setting sun, crunching the leaves and anything in his path. She instantly scrambled away, but he gave her no time to escape. A sinister smile was all she could detect before the demon grabbed her.

Kaiden pushed Milokan aside and sprinted forwards. Although, he was seconds too late as they disappeared right in front of him.

"NO!" He growled and disappeared in front of the angel. Milokan's eyes were wide and confused; his heart thumped against his chest. Everything happened so fast, but now he was left in the silence with no rift to follow. The dust that had been kicked up in the struggle floated peacefully in the air. Birds had fled the trees. He was alone once more.