Chapter 1 - News

The police station is busy as officers drag in the already early miscreants of the day, mostly drunk individuals from the night before having been found in unsavory places. Most of the officers are still at their desk filling out the day's paperwork, while others soberly sip their piping hot coffee and take the occasional bite out of their donut.

A scruffy detective with 5 o'clock shadow pushes his glasses up to rub his bleary eyes. He twists his neck as his neck pops as a familiar figure wordlessly hands him a cup of coffee, the label on the mug holds an old police joke, "I like big busts and I cannot lie."

The scruffy detective snorts and grumbles, "Very funny, hardy, har, har."

"I will take it back, Detective Locke," Sergeant Judy Jensen cheekily replied.

Detective Locke snorts under his breath but doesn't deem a worthy response. She was his commanding officer, nothing good would come of it. The older salt peppered woman leans over him and eyes the computer screen, the title of the news article reads, "What happened to Classroom 13? Alien Abduction? Human Trafficking? Police Cover-Up?"

Sergeant Judy Jensen sighs and says, "It's been a year, but there never were any leads and I doubt there never will be. Whoever is responsible got away with it and they know it." Patting him on the back, Sergeant Judy Jensen adds, "C'mon get back to work, we've got to solve the murder of our fourteen-year-old jane doe. I've got the higher up brass on my ass to resolve the case."

Detective Locke grunts, "Got it, Sergeant," and takes a sip of his coffee. Sergeant Judy Jensen sniffs pointedly as she heads back to her office.

A balding detective sitting next to Locke turns revealing the beer gut belly hidden behind the desk. The balding detective grins and says, "So, who do you think it was? My gut says it was an inside job."

A charming detective with golden hair and blue eyes stops and says, "Oh, are we discussing Classroom 13?"

At the mere mention, other loitering officers spring up and surround Locke. Locke sighs and points at the balding detective, "I wasn't first on the scene, but Marlow here was." The officers already know the story, but out of boredom or maybe to remember the missing on their anniversary, they expectantly wait for the tale to be recited.

"It was a warm spring day, April 1st when we got a call from Summerfield Conservatory, the best school in the nation. We all knew something freaky was going on, because why else would a rich preparatory like that ask for a dispatch? At most, we thought it was suicide or bullying, but we were mighty startled when Principal Worthington personally greeted us and escorted us through the halls.

The rest of the brats were in class as Principal Worthington led us to an empty classroom. At first, we thought it was a joke until Principal Worthington rerated that was the exact problem," Detective Marlow grumbled as the officer's shuffle in suspense.

The charming officer a new transfer jumps in and says, "So, who did you first suspect?"

Detective Marlow eyes the young man as another officer chimes in, "No one, proof was ever found tying anyone to the crime."

An experience female officer goes to the drawing board and draws a swift timeline. "I was on duty at the time and I can tell you as much as Marlow can and that was that there never was a single shred of evidence found indicating that a violent incident had transpired. The only single clue found was the cell of one of the students," she said as the officer turn their gazes towards the timeline.

Detective Marlow climbs out of his seat and says, "Patty is right, the desks and chairs were all in perfect order. Not a single chair was out of place except for that damn phone. Upon further investigation, every single cell phone was found accounted for within the student's desk. The student's bags were still hanging on the back of their seats with their wallets still inside including cash and credit cards. In fact, upon further examination, revealed that every single coin and credit card were all accounted for," Detective Marlow drily rerated.