Chapter 14 - Shopping

Rather than going home as previously planned, Izo takes a taxi to the Adventurer's Guild. Upon entering the building, Miss Carpenter excitedly waves her over. Izo politely smiles at the woman as she receives puzzled glances.

"Miss Reed, how are you?" Miss Carpenter excitedly asked.

"I'm fine, thank you. Miss Carpenter, but how do I go about registering a request on the job board?" Izo promptly said.

"Is it a request for items? Personnel requests for items are always double checked before being processed. However, organization request is different. What is the request exactly for?" Miss Carpenter curiously asked as she adjusts her glasses.

"Curiosity sake. I was wondering where an alchemist friend of mine may purchase ingredients? He's will be moving to Emerald City and would like to purchase some herbs," Izo matter-of-factly asked.

"Well, alchemists usually go to the pharmacies to purchase ingredients. However, newbie adventures can purchase a one-time herb bulk from the guild itself. It helps newbies trade ingredients for potions and so forth. If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can purchase these items for your friend," Miss Carpenter helpfully said.

"Yes, that would be much appreciated," Izo cheerfully said as a rare smile appeared on her face.

Miss Carpenter gawks at the smile that can transform that poor woman's face into that of normality. Miss Carpenter swiftly composes herself and turns to her colleague as she excuses herself. With grace, Miss Carpenter leads Miss Reed away to the grand dismay of much of the waiting in line adventurers. They glare with envy and sadness as they watch the lush figure of Miss Carpenter disappear beyond their sight.

Miss Carpenter leads Miss Reed to an elevator and presses the floor 12. Before the elevator can go up, Miss Carpenter must scan her ID before the elevator begins to move. The elevator door closes and with a soft lurch, the elevator swiftly rises. The two women are silent as the soft music plays overhead. With a ding, the elevator doors fly open as Miss Carpenter leads the way.

The floor is empty as a bright-eyed man wearing a red bow tie, belt fasters, a white-collar shirt sleeve shirt, beige knee shorts, colored socks, and tan toe steel boots sits at the counter. The man reveals a glistening white smile and says, "My dear, Miss Carpenter, you honor with me your presence. I'm so honored in fact, that how about you have dinner with me tonight? Let's say at nine?"

Miss Carpenter hides her smile and says, "Mr. Valentine, thank you but please keep your invites to yourself during working hours."

"Aha, then should I invite you after hours?" Mr. Valentine swiftly interjects.

Miss Carpenter opens her mouth and firmly snaps her mouth shut. Flushing Miss Carpenter says, "Mr. Valentine, this is Miss Reed. Miss reed needs to purchase a couple of items to make a potion. I'll be back in a few minutes, I need to take care of something." Without waiting for a response, Miss Carpenter flees to a nearby bathroom to compose herself.

Izo grins and says, "So, do you think you'll get her in the end?"

Mr. Valentine grins back as he climbs to his feet. "I won't give up that easy, she's the girl for me. Now then, Miss Reed, how can I help you today?"

"I need to purchase various herbs. I have a list," Izo said as she pulled out carefully folded sheets of paper and handed them over to him. Upon opening the list, Mr. Valentine finds every inch of the paper was covered in neat handwriting.

Mr. Valentine lets out a whistle as he reads out loud some of the ingredients. "Resin, Ghost Incense, Carabe, New Moon Mandrake, Blue Sage-," He stops and shakes his head impressively. "My, my, Miss Carpenter sure has interesting friends," Mr. Valentine murmured as he finishes scanning through the list.