Chapter 12.4 - Construction

A group of architects and group managers stand outside of a large building as they spread blueprints onto a table. One of the construction managers a grizzled man rubs his head and says, "Let me get this straight, we're supposed to complete this all in three months?"

"That's the plan," a calm older architect responded.

The grizzled construction manager sighs and mutters, "Well, at least we're being paid extra for our troubles."

"Let's go over the plan one more time," a younger architect importantly said.

The group ignores him as a veteran female architect says, "Now I understand that the 1st floor will house a luxurious commerce and waiting area and the second floor will house to view items. However, as the floor below it is hollow, how can we construct a theater like auction hall on the third floor without putting too much stress on the floors below?"

"Not to mention the restaurant that will be held on the same level. But we have the same problem with the third level. As the auction hall will largely be an open area, the 4th floor above it will house a gym, a rest area, and eating areas for the employees. Plus, there is also the 5th and 6th floor and above them, there will be more floors housing a laboratory, greenhouse and other production craft classes," the younger man importantly interjected.

The group sighs at the young architect's comments. The older architect placidly says, "The 4th floor is do-able since we can spread the center of stress and gravity. However, like Regina said, the 3rd floor will be a problem."

"Do we have permission to reconstruct the entire building?" The grizzled construction manager asked.

The group of architect's nod in apperception as they eye the experienced construction overseer. "Seeing as we've got permission to use mages to do so, why not make the building circular? We can spread the weight for the theater and other heavier floors. If need be, we can add more floors to fulfill the employer's demands," the construction manager purposefully said."

The older architects nod with satisfied smiles as the leading architect says, "Alright, let's go with that. I'll call the employer just to confirm that's all right."

The architects all applaud the construction manager as he embarrassedly shakes off their praises. The group chats as the youngest member sulked at being ignored and being out-smarted by a mere construction manager. Some minutes later, the lead architect returns with a smile and says, "We have approval from the employer to do so and add more floors for the large items such as a greenery floor. After some discussion, the employer agreed that the greenhouse will be on the top floor."

The group sighs at one of their worries being removed. Creating an indoor watering system was hard enough, but fake sunlight only added to their burdens. At least this way, transportation and caring for the plants would be much simpler. Though mana barriers would have to be added to prevent theft and other accidents. With that in mind, the group throws out the original blueprint and begin to work on a new one, while the construction manager gives the thumbs up to demolish the old building.