Chapter 28 - The Gods

Loki sits quietly as he waits for members of the Chaos faction to arrive. Eris streams in as wisps of smoke as Ares arrives in his fiery chariot, while others begin to arrive as well: Apep, the Egyptian Snake God. Phobeter, God of Nightmares. Nox, Goddess of the Night. Crnobog, God of Misfortune. Coatlique, Goddess of Blood Sacrifice. The Morrigan, Goddess of Bloodshed, and many other more other gods and goddesses continue to arrive.

When the last of the God's have gathered, Loki says, "Welcome my brothers and sisters to Chaos!" The gods and goddesses nod at each other as Loki says, "The Champion's court is at hand and this time, victory shall be ours!" The Gods and Goddesses cheer as Loki returns to his seat.

The beautiful goddess, Nox in a slim fitting, dark dress climbs to her feet. Nox was not only a great beauty but a powerful goddess who even the great and mighty Zeus was wary of. "My child, Hypnos, has told me that many of the God's have chosen champions even those of yore who have not participated in a millennium. Among those are Odin and Cthulhu, I cannot recall in recent championships that Odin has ever participated and Cthulhu, not since ancient times. For many eons, he has been slumbering away, but for some reason, he has suddenly awoken to participate. We must especially be wary of their two elected champions," Nox stated, before sitting back down.

Rhe gods and goddesses of the Chaos faction rumble with curiosity as Apep raises his large snakehead and hisses, "I've heard rumors that the envoy of Cthulhu was slain by the chosen of Loki and Ares. And yet, that envoy is still alive and well to have registered in the courts. It would seem your champions are a danger to all of us."

Loki narrows his eyes and says, "I am aware that the envoy of Cthulhu should be dead. But do not forget, that the champion of Cthulhu cannot be anything but simple. My envoy and Ares assumed that the champions' powers had yet to awaken and that was their error in underestimating Cthulhu's champion, but make no mistake, they shall not commit that error again."

Apep merely flickers his snake tongue at Loki in reply. Crnobog, the old Slav God climbs to his feet and says, "What I wish to know, why has Cthulhu the old one awakened after all this time?" And then Crnobog sits back down as the Gods and Goddesses of the chaos faction stare at each other in thought.

Phobeter, a God with messy dark hair, glowing yellow eyes and a cape made out of skulls and bones climbs to his feet. "For many eons, Cthulhu has slept and dreamed many dreams. There are times when he had been about to awaken, but never more roused from his slumber. No, not even the madness of War could have awoken him since his great defeat at the hands of Harmony. Whatever has awoken Cthulhu, it is the siren call of Madness. However, what that could be? I can no more guess than any of you," Phobeter stated, before once more sitting down.

The Gods reflexively turn towards Coatlique, the Goddess of Blood Sacrifice and The Morrigan. If any god understood madness it would be those two Goddesses. The two Goddesses stare at each other for a time, before the Morrigan says, "There are strange whisperings on the wind. The vultures and beasts of carnage whisper that a child of Madness has been born. And if so, who better to call out and awaken the God of Madness?"

Ares narrows his eyes and says, "But such a young mortal female to possess such madness is preposterous. Oh, we have all seen madness but that is in the madness of mortals, those who have hatred, desire lust or wealth, and those that seek power. But that female mortal child possesses no such qualities to be called a child of Madness."

Coatlique in a raspy, soft voice softly replies,

"Much Madness is divinest Sense -

To a discerning Eye -

Much Sense - the starkest Madness –."

The gods and goddesses grow thoughtful as Nox climbs to her feet and says, "Then so be it. Worry not my companions, though Cthulhu is awake, he was once defeated before. All the champions of Harmony to do so again, while we wait and bide our time."

The Gods and Goddesses smile and murmur with pleasure as they being to prepare and discuss who shall enter their champions. At the end only, half of the champions are to be entered to keep champions in reserve and to keep the weaker champions out. The Gods and Goddesses disperse leaving only Loki and Nox behind.

Loki smiles at Nox and says, "You are beautiful as the night sky, My Goddess."

"You are still a tease, Loki," Nox ruefully replies.

"Yes, but what shall we do about our problem?" Loki asked.

"That she has become too troublesome to continue to handle," Nox mused out loud.

"So, shall we deliver her into our enemy's hands?" Loke commented.

Nox smiles and says, "I leave that to you, my dear, I for one, shall whisper into Zeus's ear."

Loki snorts and says, "And you say, I'm a tease."

"You are my dear, but I am a woman and that is simply who I am," Nox replied with a smile, before sashaying away.

Loki narrows his eyes, before vanishing into the darkness. The God of Trickery is about, and all should be wary. For there is no telling, where or who he could be!