chapter 28

They have yet to give me an epidural. I can’t sit still anymore, the pain makes me constantly have to shift around. My mum got a call from Harry just a few minutes ago, he had just boarded the plane and would be here in about 2 hours. I couldn’t wait that long for him to be here. I needed him here with me right now, he would take the pain away.

I felt another round of pain kick in, this one worse than the last. This time it took every ounce of my being not to scream bloody murder from the pain. My mum looked at me with sad eyes, she couldn’t bear to see how much pain I was in. Finally a nurse comes in with more painkillers. Even though I hate the way they make me feel, I gladly take them.

*

It’s been three hours since I got to the hospital. Harry just texted me, he was just getting off the plane now and was rushing to the hospital. The pain had finally begun to settle down a bit so I told him not to rush.

The doctor comes in a few minutes later. “Well you are five centimeters dilated.” She tells me. “So about five more.” she says patting my shoulder. “Can i get some water?” I ask. My throat was dry from trying to keep every scream at bay. “Of course, I’ll get the nurse to send some in right away. And the epidural will shortly.” she says with a nod. 

*

I must have managed to fall asleep for a short period of time because when I open my eyes i find Harry looking back at me with a tired look on his face. “How you feeling?” he asks brushing the hair from my sticky face. “In pain.” I moan rolling to my side. “I’m sorry.” he says with a sympathetic look on his face. “Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” I say as my hand lingers on his face when i reach to brush the curls from his eyes. He smiles at me, then leans down. His lips touching mine ever so slightly, testingly. I reach up, cupping his neck and pulling his face closer to mine. 

Another round of pain grips me. I gasp. Harry pulls back looking at me worried. “Are you okay?” he asks. “Just another round of contractions.” I say through breathing. “They will be gone in a few minutes.” I say to him. But they don’t leave, nor the the pain recede at all. I push the call button for the doctor.

A few minutes later one of my nurses appears. She takes me in. “Looks like it’s time for that epidural now. I’ll go grab one.” she says leaving the room. Harry takes my hand, i squeeze it with every contraction. His hand begins to turn a light pink, but he doesn’t pull his hand back. Soon enough the nurse is back with the epidural.

I feel the needle slip into my skin, then my lower half goes numb. I can still feel the contractions, but they are duller, not as much pain. “The doctor will be in shortly. It’s time for your bundle of joy to make the grand appearance!” the nurse says with a smile as she begins to get everything ready for the doctor.

Everything is going fast and slow at the same time. “Push!” the doctor yells. I squeeze Harry’s hand so hard he yelps. The screams escapes my lips, and I can’t reel it in like i did during the contractions. The nurse tells me to breathe, I listen to her, breathing in heavily, letting it out as smoothly as I can.

Harry pushes my sweat filled hair from my face. He looks so happy because he’s not the one in pain. “Stop smirking you arse!” I yell at him. He smirks even wider. “Shh you are suppose to be pushing and breathing.” he says to me stroking my cheek. “Fuck! I just want this baby out of me!” I scream. Harry tries to suppress a laugh, but I hear it. “Shut the fuck up Styles! Don’t forget about that damn watermelon!” I say in rage. That makes him laugh even harder. I squeeze his hand even harder than before. He begins to crumble. “I’ll stop!” he whines.