36

Ryan

Jenny and I talked about everything: our likes and dislikes, how we used to hate each other in the beginning, and how she concocted various ways to make my life a living hell. I love the way her eyes spark with mischief when she recalls her antics that wreaked havoc in my life. I also adore how she blushes when she talks about her changing feelings towards me. I never thought I could enjoy endless conversations with a girl I once despised. She is an incredible person, and her soft smile warms my heart. I'm not myself around her—or should I say, I'm finally myself when I'm with her.

Slowly, her voice is replaced by the gentle rhythm of her snoring, her lips parted ever so slightly, which reminds me of our earlier passionate kiss. I could kiss those sweet lips forever. Oh God, I've never wanted anyone as desperately as the woman in my arms. But patience is the keyword in our relationship.

Under the moonlight, I'm mesmerized by her features and her timeless beauty. She presses herself into me tightly due to the freezing cold. Her skin is warm, and my muscles respond to her touch, tensing involuntarily. Her head rests on my chest, the sound of its steady beat calming me. I can't help myself as I lightly brush my lips over hers. In that moment, I realize I need her with every fiber of my being, and I don't want to waste any more time longing for her. "Calm down, Ryan," I whisper to myself, "she is yours, and only yours. But she needs time."

As the cold seeps in, I gently cradle her in my arms without waking her up. I don't want her to get sick again. I cover her body with my warm jacket and press the elevator button. She peacefully sleeps in my arms, and holding her fills the emptiness within me. I was too engrossed in her beauty to notice the couple hastily exiting the elevator. The guy walks with the help of his crutch, and the girl holds onto his arm. They have their backs to me, and I'm quite curious to see their faces.

"Hey, do you need any help?" I suspiciously interrupt this strange couple. Something doesn't seem right.

"No, we're fine, thanks," the girl replies softly. I couldn't help but notice the wistfulness in her tone. The man's grip tightens on his crutch, and he looks visibly uncomfortable. It might sound crazy, but that guy does look familiar. The gentle ding of the elevator reminds me to enter. I outstretch my hand to stop the door, and as I step inside, I hear the uncertain voice of the girl.

"What happened to her? Is she fine?" A slight smile curls on my lips at the mention of Jenny, and this angel has my complete attention.

"She fell asleep in my arms. I'm taking her to bed," I explain. I notice a slight frown on Jenny's face; her sleep is getting disturbed due to me. But that's not what stuns me; it's the guy who is moving quickly on his crutch. He looks agitated and is angrily limping on his injured leg.

"Oh, good night," the girl says awkwardly before following the guy. I don't know why, but I want to see the guy's face; something is definitely amiss. I contemplate stopping the elevator when a soft voice stops me in my tracks.

"Ryan." My gaze fixates on her beautiful face. She wets her lips and looks at me with a confused look. Hearing my name in her sleepy voice is quite a turn-on.

"Yeah," I lean over her with a flirtatious smile, her cheeks flush red.

"Why didn't you wake me up? I'm sorry I fell asleep on our first date," she says in a saddened tone, and it's endearing when she's like this.

"Oh, so it was our first date?" I reply with a cheeky tone. She pouts cutely.

"You mean to say it wasn't?" Her pout transforms into an angry glare. I can't emphasize enough that this was my FIRST DATE EVER. I'd never done this dating thing before, yet I'm glad it happened with this amazing girl.