39

Jenny

There's no room for argument when Ryan has that determined look on his face. I've learned the hard way how stubborn he can be. But as I stand here, staring out at the vast expanse of water, I can't shake the feeling of dread creeping up inside me. What if this is all just a ploy? What if Ryan's plan is to drown me and make it look like an accident? Ridiculous, I scold myself, shaking off the absurd thought.

"Stop frowning so much! You'll get wrinkles on your face before time," Ryan's hand lands on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts. His eyes are serious, studying me with a mix of concern and determination. Suddenly, I'm acutely aware of how conscious I feel under his gaze.

"I am not going to kill you, I intend to kill your fear, Jenny," he says, and I'm astounded by his insight. Does he have some kind of mind-reading ability now? Mr. Arrogant, aka Mr. Mind Reader.

"Don't look at me with surprise, you're talking loud enough for me to hear," he teases, and I feel my face flush with embarrassment. Ryan laughs, pinching my cheeks playfully, earning an annoyed groan from me.

"Ryan, I'm not a kid, so stop pinching my cheeks," I protest, but his playful antics are already softening my defenses. Cupping my face between his hands, he leans in close.

"I wish you could see through my eyes, how adorable and juvenile you look when you have this big pout on your face," he says, and despite my best efforts, I can't hold back a smile. Looking into his eyes, time seems to stand still, and a warmth spreads through my chest, it leaps with joy. At this moment I am willing to do anything for him, screw my fear of the Sea..

"Jenny, you must overcome all your fears. So nobody can use your fear against you...just like I did, I used your emotions and blackmailed you. I was sure you didn't trust James enough to reveal my proposition to him. I used your fear." Ryan's words catch me off guard, reminding me of our rocky start. But there's something different in his tone now, a sincerity that tugs at my heartstrings.

"I'm just trying to gain your trust. I want you to trust me enough to talk about anything and everything without any hesitancy. I am also trying to trust in this relationship, and I want your trust as well. Will you help me, Jenny, to build a relationship on the base of trust?" Ryan's vulnerability takes me by surprise, and for a moment, I'm speechless. I see his point, yes he is right I never trusted James enough or if I put this in other words, our relationship was not strong enough to trust each other. In this six months of relationship, I trust Ryan more than James, though we have not started on a good note.

"I wish to do anything to make this relationship work, Ryan... if it means facing my fears with you, then so be it," I finally say, my voice filled with determination. And with that, I take his outstretched hand, ready to face whatever challenges lie ahead, together. 

"Then without wasting time, let's go shopping" I nod my head, wait am I seriously considering it? Yes, for this man I can do anything... another thought pops up..

"Should I tag alone someone?" I ask I wonder since when I consider Ms. Davis as my friend, this has to be unreal.

"If that someone means Ms. Davis, then again you are wasting our time because she won't come" He looks very much sure on this.

"How you are so sure about Ms. Davis?" I furrow my brows at him, giving him a dirty look. Is that a hint of their closeness...

"I am not sure of Ms. Davis, but I can bet on my friend Rick..I know that croaky bastard, he is too possessive when it comes to Ms. Davis" Again he has a point, still, there is no harm in trying.

"Will see" Ryan handed over his cell in my hand, giving me a "TRY YOUR LUCK" look.

As Ryan predicted, Rick has clearly declined Ms. Davis's request to leave early, citing our impending deadline for the project. It leaves just Ryan and me, with a smug smirk on his face as we head towards the beach.