Chapter 2 | REJECTION

Let silence take you to the core of life.

Rumi

☆☆☆

Lina gulped, so audible that she thinks the people beside her might hear. She shrieked and thousands of shivers went down her spine. She was sure she didn't heard her well. She looked up into Ms Maria's eyes although hers is blurry with tears.

"Granny? Please not now. I need you the most now. I know what we did was wrong, we abandoned you but please I'll explain everything now. I'm so sorry but please try to understand"

The confused look she saw on Ms Maria's face made her stopped. She was staring at her quizzically and Lina scowled. "Granny?"

"Is she a visitor?"

Lina gasped audibly. This was no fun, why would she act like one in such. She was in a state of urgency and she's here joking about everything being said. Gosh!

"Can you remember her Ms Maria? She said she's your granddaughter"

"I have no granddaughter!"

"Not even one?"

Now Lina stared at them in bewilderment, her mouth wide agape and her intestines knotting as on instance. She was boiling in a wild rage. What kind of drama is this. Who play such if not for her weird grandmother.

"Now enough with the comedy grandmother. You did act well, now back to the situation."

"My dear, I don't think Ms Maria remembers you."

"What the heck do you mean? Why won't she remember me? For Allah's sake enough with the scenes grandma" she blurted rolling her eyes furiously. It was now clearly evident that she's frustrated.

"Lina. Don't blame her if she doesn't get to recognise you, because she's sick."

"Sick? What sickness?"

"Alzheimer's disease, for the past two years. She's in the critical stage. I don't think she can recognise you."

The words took turns in repeating itself in Lina's head before she finally understood what Ms Amrah meant. She gulped down the lump forming in her throat. Sooner than later she felt her eyes becoming moist again, she blinked almost twice but the tears brimmed out, simultaneously she was shaking her head.

"Alzheimer's? Grandma's sick? Are you even sure of what you're saying? This can't be true. She can't be the one in this condition, but I left her perfectly okay.." But then she stopped halfway in her sentence, reasoning. The last time she saw her grandmother was three days after their mother's funeral, which was also two years ago. Does that means since after that time she was sick? No, she can't be.

"She's been sick for the past two years?" She asked, her voice lined with melancholy with tears still brimming out of her eyes. Ms Amrah nodded at her, slightly patting her shoulder.

"Calm down my dear. She's okay, In Shaa Allah.."

"How can you tell me she's okay when she can't even remember my existence, my own grandmother. Ya Allah! What have I done wrong to deserve this? What will I tell my mother? That I abandoned her own mother. Oh my Allah!" She cried her voice echoing around the walls of her heart. Everything felt surreal. She hold her head between her knees, crying her heart out. She needed to and will. She just felt like exploding or hiding herself from all the chaos of life, they'll only make her go crazy.