Chapter 49 | ENDANGERED

I closed my eyes and spoke to you in a thousand silent ways.

Rumi

☆☆☆

Leniency... that was just another word Lina erased from her dictionary and replaced it with boldness. She couldn't stand it again, she'd always thought being lenient and soft will get everything on track but she's forgotten that many at times you've to be hellbent on getting what you want before things go okay, you can't always be depriving yourself to please others and think everything will eventually be okay.

It was now that Ommata's words made sense, 'Don't give much to people you know won't give back as much as you've given them.'

She'd always invested so much of her trust in people that ended up proving her otherwise. When will all these games end? She was tired. It wasn't that she's ungrateful to her Lord but she needed a break. She needed something to take her mind off these goofs. She needed a retreat.

The back and forth, it was eating her up. Yesterday... just yesterday, it seemed like she was fixing the puzzle, she was too close to getting everything out of the dark when he received that call. A call that called off her peace of mind, a call that messed up her puzzle and left her shifting around, incomplete.

He blindfolded her with a façade, sweet talked her and made her believe he was going to fight for them. He didn't give her a chance to question him beyond what he said. She should've asked him where he was going, what he was precisely fighting for, were they even in danger? Who was he talking to on phone?

She stired her tea the fifth time? No, it was the eighth! She was hungry but she has no appetite. She placed the mug back on the counter and dialed his number again. She wasn't surprised when she saw that she's calling him for the forty third time in twelve hours. As expected, it went straight to voicemail. She wondered for how long will this end?

But... what if he's in danger? What could possibly have happened since last night? Where did he went to? Is it a safe place? Who's Khalifa and who were they talking about? What is she supposed to do now? She huffed and hugged her torso. She was now becoming nauseous. Was it the smell of the coffee? It was nauseating her, it smelled like... like blood! She hissed and emptied the cup in the sink. She went back to her room picked up her veil, car keys and exited the house.

☆☆☆

Three hours later and Lina was still roaming the streets of Toronto. She left home with no destination. But as soon as she hit the road, the idea of checking on Omar hit her. He was the only friend she knew he had. But unfortunately, they weren't at home.

She went to his parent's house. She couldn't disclose to them he was missing. That's how she left for her parent's home.

She was drained. Too drained. Her face was paling and her lips were drying. It was becoming hard for her to breathe thrice in succession without gasping. Was she losing it again? Her faith, courage and confidence. Was she losing them again?

She parked her car and alighted. Her father wasn't at home. When she saw Ms. Amrah, she didn't think twice before running to her arms with tears. She couldn't hold it for any long. She cried in her arms.

"Lina, what's happening?"

She sniffed and looked up at her. Her eyes were soulful, her body was shaking and her temperature was getting high. She felt a volcano rising within her. It was similar to what she felt when her mother was sick, like she was losing someone.

Was she really losing someone? Or losing herself.

"He's gone."

Ms. Amrah sighed. She knew it was something to do with Khaldun. "What happened Lina? Did you have a fight?"