Chapter 39 | IT ISN'T A MACABRE TALE

Only trust someone who can see these three things in you: the sorrow behind your smile, the love behind your anger and the reason behind your silence

☆☆☆

The crescent from above shivered as the clouds under it departed to give it a clear view and the dim stars sparkled as on instances. The twirling wind around them danced before it halt to have a peek from below and some of its companions unfurled their wings around both Lina and Khaldun's ankle. They all gape at them because by Allah, their sight under the dark sky, twirling breeze and a shivering crescent with hundreds of unfathomable emotions within their condensed eyes was a sight to behold.

Neither of them made a move nor open their mouth to protest. With their condensed eyes, they conversed and each was able to grab the words of the other. She was the first that took a shaky step back, aware of her stiffed situation while he took one forward, still staring into each other's eyes. As she took another, the barbarian followed her footsteps, approaching her. She knitted her brows, reminding him of his sister but all he was able to say was, "Go home Suri. The driver is waiting for you outside." without either tearing the stare or changing his pace.

When his complete form came into view, Suri gasped. She ambled in her steps as she tries to move. "Khaldun, what's happening?" She vocalised each word with fear and perplexity. When he tore his gaze and looked into Suri's hazel eyes, she gulped down her remaining questions in anxiety. For all the years she's been with her brother, she'd never witness such attitude from him. He wasn't much of a talkative but he was neither a barbarian. She'd never witness him have a fight with someone upto the extent to wound each other but today, she was disappointed as well frightened.

She opened her mouth but he shut her up with a glare. She mumbled some words under her breathe before she turned on her heels. With the sound of her heavy steps, Lina turned and followed her with a terrified and pleading look on her face. She left the entrance door open as the monster who had the ability to cause such commotion in an amount of seconds was still there. There, behind the kitchen island, she saw Suri trying to zip up her purse but failed countless of times due to the tears brimming out of her hazel eyes. Those hazels!

"Ya Allah!" Lina whispered as she brush her temples with the tip of her fingers. For months, not being brutal but sincerely she'd wanted to see tears from hazel eyes but not these innocent hazels. Her soul was just as pure as her eyes, she deserves nothing close to that. And now Lina is witnessing this mesmerising soul crying and she couldn't do anything to stop it, and all was caused due to her presence in the family. If only she hadn't accepted, she thought.

"He yelled and glared at me Lina. He'd never done such thing. Is that really Khaldun? Why would he-" And there she stopped halfway, her eyes widening at something ahead of Lina. Lina cried internally because the tone of her voice alone was one to sympathise with. When she realised that she just didn't stopped because her voice chocked in her throat and actually her eyes were widening in horror, she followed her gaze and there, by the door frame, her gaze landed on the barbarian as he glared at his sister. Is he really sane, she asked herself again.