Chapter 30 | GONE, SHE IS

A person with a sharp tongue will eventually cut themselves.

J. Robson Koenig

☆☆☆

The noise coming out from the small antique shops and pharmacies around the area were a little loud. Being it Sunday, every one was out to get something to start the new week with. The lane was all too noisy with different people engaged in one work or the other.

Lina walked up to the beauty salon she's been seeing for the past three days on her way to buy beverages. She slide the door open, revealing a short round middle aged woman in her early thirties. Her orange floral summer dress cladding her body tight. Her hair tied in a high ponytail, with her signature warm smile.

"You're welcome to Bon Jour Beauty Salon" the round woman said in her thickly French accent. "How can I help you?" She asked offering her a seat.

"I'll want a wash and blow dry"

"That's no problem. Shall we?" She motioned towards the washing section. Lina nodded and followed her suit.

"You're new in this area?" She asked her, grabbing a shampoo.

"Yes"

"No wonder. I've never seen you before around here. Where do you reside?" She asked further.

"Two lanes from here, ahead" she answered her nonchalantly. She isn't fond with this kind of intruding questions. Even from now she's gain a little dislike in the round lady.

"You're the bride?" She gasped, her hand flying over to her mouth.

What surprised Lina most wasn't just because she knew there was a bride in the area, that, people might have heard which is commonly idle in every place. But for her to easily say she's the bride was what surprised her the most. With just a mere description of her house she's already fathom she's the bride. Those that means she knows all the women in their area or is she their locality councillor?

"What bride?"

"That moved in two weeks ago. Uhmm...Mr Khaldun's house?"

"Yes, that's my house. But please let's get to work and shove away this bride and whatsoever talk you want to engage me in. I'm not comfortable with such kind of a words" her eyes rolled, showing how much irritated she was.

"She's shy Jeanne, laisse la (let her be)" another round woman from behind said with her French accent. It didn't sound like she was scolding Jeanne but more of testing Lina's patience.

Lina clenched her eyes shut as Jeanne applied the shampoo to her hair, pretending she isn't listening to them, but still they continued.

"Alice you know Khaldun?" Jeanne asked the other round woman. She was wearing her armless brown t-shirt with a black skirt some inches below her knee, with different clips clipping her kinky type of hair.

"That arrogant man? Some lanes away from here?" The other woman, Alice, asked.

"Yes! I never knew he'll ever settle down with a family. At least he got himself a decent wife. I thought he was going to marry one of his mistresses" the round Jeanne hissed, examining Lina closely.

Now that got Lina confused and a little interested in their gossip. The clenched shut eyes loosened a bit but nevertheless she didn't open it. She said 'his mistresses'. Those that means he has other mistresses apart from Areeba or it's just Areeba alone.

"You know they say even the bad ones go after the good. But I don't think she married him out of love, may be it's some sort of arranged marriage"

"But people still say one of his mistresses is still with him. The dirty sl*t won't let him be with his new wife. People say he chased her out after his house but still she haven't let him be at ease with his wife" Jeanne hissed.