Chapter 3 | FLEETING HOPES

In a drop of water are found all the secrets of the ocean.

Khalil Gibran

☆☆☆

He sat on the chair across from her, silence enveloping them. The only thing being heard was the sound of the refrigerator in the room. Everything was silent.

He looked up from the picture he have been observing for almost five minutes in his phone to the woman opposite to him. Her brows rose, in need of information but he huffed, his features dropping.

"What?" She aksed quizzically, her voice above everything.

"You know this is annoying. How can this be?" He groaned audibly.

"I don't know. But you dare to go against his choice. The all-power is with her now, she's the one to decide everything. We'll have to meet her, befriend her and from then we shall know what's next, we can't just start from the top, she'll be suspicious."

"You're right Areeba. But the thing is that I can't stand her sight. She's too pious and gentle. We're just two bipolar" he stood from his chair, rounding the centre table to her chair. He sat by the armrest, taking her hand in his. "We can hardly understand each other" he puffed, brushing his knuckles against her temples.

"You have to compose yourself and accept the fact love. It's just a matter of time and all shall pass, it'll be one of our victory history" she chimed herself and he kissed her knuckes, warming her fingers.

"I hope so" and with that she stood to leave. Gathering her few belongings from the room. They bid each other their usual farewell and exited.

☆☆☆

"Lina you mean she can't remember any of us, all of those memories we once shared? She can't remember the slightest?" Labiba panicked, fear consuming her. She's still yet to believe Ms Maria's sickness.

"Labiba all that aside, to my surprise when I showed her Ummy's picture she was like 'who's this'. Can you believe it Labiba she can't even remember Ummy talk less of us."

"Uhmm...I really don't know what to say Lina but you know what surprises me the most? The fact that she has been sick for over a year. Where were we all this while?"

"When did we became this cruel Labiba that we couldn't check on grandma for more than a year. Two years, imagine. If I'm not mistaken last we saw her was during Ummy's funeral. Inna lillahi! When did we became like this. We promised Ummy to take care of her Labiba but now it seems we're failing the promise"

"Lina I'm in a total confusion"

"So am I Labiba. I'm not only on confusion but also disappointed with myself. I never thought we'll be this ignorant. Ya Allah. But Labiba I think now is the time we're supposed to rebound our relationship with grandma. This is another chance worth itself. Let's not neglect her again. She needs us the most."

"You're right Lina. She needs us now and we'll be here In Shaa Allah"

"In Shaa Allah Labiba"

"Okay, there is something else. Abuya is at home panicking with your absence Lina. He never thought you'll leave the house. He called me and tasked me with the responsibility of finding you. What do I tell him now?"

"I knew he was frustrated at that time. He said it out of anger and I used it as my cue to leave his sight. After all that was what I've been aiming for so long"

"Why?"

"Labiba" she groaned brushing her temples "Living in that house is just like living in hell. You won't understand me because you've not seen his dark side. It's too awful to say but Abuya can be a monster"