Chapter 7 | FRIENDS?

Our enemies did not cross our boarders. They crept through our weaknesses like ants.

Nizar Qabbani

☆☆☆

Lina arrived at the bridge side and found a smoothly sand surface to lay down her materials. Spreading her carpet, she sat down facing the Sunnyside bridge. It was nearly noon and the view was so perfect as the sun was still raising. Arranging her food basket and canvas, she began to stare deep into the bridge. It was her first time being there.

It was really a good sight for a somber and heartbroken person like her. Many families were there, some on picnic while some are exploring the sight. Their laughter and echoing sounds of happiness was baffling Lina. It isn't like she's being selfish or something relating to that but all she needed was love, comfort and encouragement from her loved ones, she needed those moments that she'll be welcomed humbly into her father's embrace. But a single smile she'd been yearning for two years hasn't yet been accomplished talk less of exploring the world together.

She remembered those memories she shared with her mother when she was still her father's eye lit. She loved and above all missed those feelings and memories.

She hurriedly dab her eyes as tears were about to settle down in them. She isn't in no way going to ruin this day. She promised herself that this day will be just like a beginning of a new life, a life with just Ms Amrah, Ms Rayn, Labiba, Ayoub, her granny and of course her one and only Ommata.

She picked up a bunch of grape from her basket as she placed down her canvass in front of her. Taking a bite from the grape, she brought out her color palette and brushes. She waited as she was done with her grape before she bounce her experience on her canvass.

Dabbing on the last edge of her painting she heard some steps at her back. Happiness overwhelming her, she turned with full confidence to find her jellyfish but unfortunately she came across that face again.

Those cold hazel eyes that sometimes looks olive!

The one man that got her ice-cream poured all over her precious floral dress!

But today it was so unusual of him as his face was being accompanied with a large grin, almost showing his set of thirty-two. And also so strange of him, he said the 'Salam' as she turned to look at him. With equal enthusiasm, she replied him the pleasantries.

Without any word he sat down on her carpet but to Lina's surprise he was able to maintain a respectful distance between them and Masha Allah his gaze was fixed on the beach. He wasn't being quizzical to her dismay today, great!

After an amount of silence he turned his gaze down at her canvas and his mouth drop down in awe. To say the painting was beautiful was an understatement. After a couple of seconds he adjusted to his original position before he cleared his throat.

"Miss Danish, how are you?" He asked looking at a young girl that was running around trying to catch a butterfly.

"Alhamdulillah. You?" She asked washing her brushes by the side of her carpet with her bottled water.

"Fine." He pinch the bridge of his nose, brushing away the awkwardly atmosphere. "So, it seems you paint quite Masha Allah because I won't deny this." He motioned towards her canvas with a smile.

She smiled slightly before nodding her head. "Yeah, it seems I can." she played with his words as she popped her brushes into it's bag and he smiled.

"Sincerely speaking it looks beautiful." He nodded his head sternly.

"Jazakallahu khairan." She popped out a raspberry drink from her basket, served it into two disposable cups and placed one by his side. "This will help with the weather. Bismillah." He nodded with a laugh and collected it wholehearted.