Chapter 46 | WHITE EXALTS PURITY

Nothing is harder on the soul than the smell of dreams when they're evaporating.

Mahmoud Darwish

☆☆☆

"I thought you'll visit home today."

"Home? Why?" Lina asked as her eyes rose from the journal she was reading before resting her gaze on him. He took the settee close to hers and rolled his eyes at her in response.

"They came back on Sunday, yesterday you're at work and there isn't work today, won't you visit them?"

"Last time I checked I never mentioned any visitation to you." She was fighting the urge to yell at his face. Not to sound rude but now, anytime someone talks to her about her father or anything concerning him, she easily gets annoyed.

The other day, some minutes to Ommata's nikah, Labiba messaged her that the nikah of Malik and Ms Amrah had just took place. The normal Lina would have screamed and praise Allah but that time she felt a heavy knot blocking her throat and she felt fresh, hot tears running down her cheeks. She tried hard before composing herself so as not to ruin Ommata's wedding.

And about their return, she had a phone call with Ms Rayn Sunday eve and she assured her they're back safely and soundly. She even talked with little Ayoub through Ms Rayn. That was enough for her because they were the only people that reached her after they came back. Even Labiba didn't call her to inform her about their arrival so, she'll rather act as if they never came back than to go over to their house.

"Lina what's wrong with you? Like, lemme tell you, this thing never slipped my mind. Since the day you visited your house the last I knew there was a problem because the normal you, even if really you're suffering from a headache, you'll still stay there. But you were just away for like an hour and you just came back saying you're sick and you couldn't even visit Ommata."

"'If really you're suffering from a headache.' Wow! You're doubting that? You think I'll lie to you? What will I achieve in that?" Her face paled and she closed the journal in her hands, deeply resting her gaze in his hazel eyes.

She was getting annoyed.

He huffed in annoyance, "I ain't saying you're lying Lina. No, you're misunderstanding me. I was just trying to emphasize how abruptly you came back home just after an hour."

She kept the journal on the armrest and stood up, "I need to do the laundry."

He stared at her quizzically, she was turning into something else. He could trace the annoyance dripping from each word she uttered and he was sure she was trying to avoid the conversation. He caught her wrist firmly, preventing her from taking any step forward.

"Khaldun," His name rolled out of her lips as subtle as it could ever be. It felt like a gentle caress of the wind in a moonless night, it was serene. "Let go of my hand."

He smiled, "Lina, I can't let go of your hand. We need to talk. Something is bothering you Lina. Sit, let's talk." She clenched her eyes shut. "Please." He added.

She sighed, "Only if you'll let go of me."

Reluctantly he let her hand slipped out of his grasp and she sat down back on the settee. She looked down at the rug beneath her feet as it caresses her skin, it was more like a tickle due to the softness of it.

"Lina?"

"Ummm." She was avoiding his gaze.

"Feel free with me, you can count on me. Tell me what's bothering you. But if you really don't want to then I'm ok with that."