Chapter 20

해나

I was lazing on the couch after having dinner with TaeHo, TaeHyung went out for dinner with his girlfriend, his girlfriend which I didn't really like. She looks slutty and totally doesn't seem the type where she would have a long-term relationship with someone. But she and TaeHyung have been going out for 6 months, it is long enough to consider to be a long-term relationship.

Maybe it is just the way that she dresses? She dresses way too mature for someone who is turning 20 this year, I know that teenagers this age often tries to dress up to look more mature to fit into society but something tells me that it is not going to last.

Either TaeHyung would fall for someone else or she cheats on him. That is the usual ways to end a relationship. "Noona, do you want any fruits?" TaeHo asked me as he passed through the kitchen and opened the fridge.

I turned over and lied down on my stomach, my butt facing up. "What fruits are there?"

"Mango, apple." He said and showed me the two fruits.

"Apple will do. I am going to call HyeRan over for dessert." I said and went out of the apartment for a moment to go to Hye-Ran's ringing the doorbell but she didn't open the door. I ringed the bell for a few times and she still didn't answer. Did she fall asleep already?

I went back to the apartment and TaeHo is already cutting up the high-quality apples that he took out from the fridge. "Is HyeRan not around?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't know. She doesn't sleep that early though." I said walking to the counter taking a piece of apple from the cutting board.

"Noona, don't eat it like that. It's dirty."

"I don't care, it is still apple after all," I said and went back to the couch.

"When would hyung come back?" TaeHo asked when he placed the bowl of apples on the coffee table.

I shrugged my shoulders. "He just told us that he would be out and be back by midnight." I took a bite of the apple. "What do you think of his girlfriend?"

"BoNa? She's good." Are these guys blind or what??

"Good? You think that she is good?"

"Then what else? All the guys like her and she chose to be with hyung instead." At least she isn't choosy and chose my fussy younger brother.

"Then what about Hyeran? Do you like her?" I really like her these days, especially when she finishes all the food that I have cooked. It is as if I am taking care of another sibling on top of the two idiots that I have to face every day.

Whenever I see her,  I would get that weird feeling that I have to take care of her like a sister. Maybe it is because I don't have a sister and I am an only child before Omma remarried the current person which I called my father now.

"In what way?" He asked, his ears turning very red.

"You know what way I am talking about? Any romantic feelings?"

"No. I don't feel that way towards her." He said slowly. "She doesn't think that way though." Do you think that I can't see that??

"Better don't. She is part of our family and I don't want any of you to like her. She is just like a sister to me."

I heard my phone ring and I picked up the call. It is from TaeHyung. "Yeoboseyo??"

"Noona, can you come to the hospital now?? I need your help." He seemed very anxious and it mattered his life a lot.

"What help?"

"Hye-Ran's father is in trouble and they are going to the hospital to get him stabilized. I need you to be there so that there is an adult to take care of everything."

"I will be there with TaeHo, I will call you when I reach."

"Thanks, Noona for helping."

"I'm glad that you called me instead of your friends," I said and hung up the call.

"What's the matter?" TaeHo asked after I mentioned him earlier. I explained the whole thing to him and we were in a taxi on the way to the hospital.

We rushed up to the counter where TaeHyung stood up looking very nervous. "TaeHyung!" I called his name and he looked up, gesturing us to take the lift. 

We stopped at the 3rd floor where the operating room is at and found HyeRan seated in one of those chairs looking very haggard. It has only been a few hours since we last met and she already looked like that. She must really care for her father a lot as she is the only person that her father had.

The doctor came out a while later giving us good news and we stayed outside as Hye-Ran made her way into the room where she hugged her father crying again. TaeHo decided to go inside too to say thanks to Hye-Ran and her father. I was the one that handled the whole thing after all. So the three of us went inside with a heavy heart. She was smiling and her father tried to calm her down and he looked very familiar, it is as if I have seen him before.

He thanked each of us and his eyes stopped at mine and I was staring at him too. My lips trembled as I forced out that word out of my mouth upon seeing that stranger who appears to be Hye-Ran's father. "A-appa?"

That one word made all the people in the room turned around looking at me with that weird expression. I didn't know why I said that out but I did call him my father. Just looking at him makes me tear up for some weird reason and I don't know how to do with that.

"Appa? Noona, why are you calling him your father?" TaeHo asked.

"I don't know..." I said trying to escape. "You guys stay here, I'm going to the toilets for a while." I ran out of the room immediately and hid in the toilet cubicle.

Why am I acting like this?  I'm usually very calm in this situation and I totally messed it up at that one word. Why do I call him Appa when he is not even my father?

I knew that I was from a broken family and my parents divorced when I was a little child. My mother brought me along with her and there she met my current father. But why do I call this person my father? It can't be the surname, right?

Because I was a Song before. My name was Song HaeNa once. Until I was 3. Omma, did you lie to me that my birth father was dead?