Chapter 28

혜란

TaeHyung dragged me away as he wanted his adoptive mother to speak with my father without anyone interrupting. Today, my biological mother and my father met each other again. "Don't worry, they will be fine." He said placing a hand on my shoulder. "it is not like they will fight the minute they meet."

"I know." I said staring out of the window, seeing the scenery outside the hospital. It is beautiful but sad at the same time. I wonder how the patients feel being in a place like this.

"Are you mad that she is not the person that you expected her to be?" I said looking at him, who is staring at the same scenery as I am. "How did you felt when you first found that? Surprised? Betrayed?"

"Just lost." He answered. "I didn't know what to say but instead yell at her and declared her as my greatest enemy for the next 10 years or so."

He left out a sigh and continued. "It is not like she intended to, she lied to me because she didn't want me to be even more hurt knowing that my own mother had died." His mother died?

"When... did she die?" I asked carefully and his facial expression darken. "It's okay if you don't want to tell, I'm just curious that's all." I quickly took my words back. I might have sounded a little rude.

"I'll tell. I'm not going to lie to you." He paused for a moment. "She died when giving birth to me and TaeHo, your mother came into my life a year later. I'm sorry for taking your mother away from you when you needed her the most." He apologized again.

"You didn't do anything wrong, they just didn't love each other anymore. They ended their relationship." I corrected him.

"Right. No one is at fault then." He ended the conversation with that. "Everyone is angels and nobody are demons." He gave me a smile and I smile back at him. I guess that ends the bad blood between the two of us. It is easy to make mistakes but it is hard to amend them and apologize to the person which you hurt them. If everyone does that, the world would be a better place. No wars, no conflicts. There will be only world peace.

Humans are just too proud to admit their mistakes and thus blaming it on other people or denying to the end. We went back to the ICU and I nearly teared up as I witnessed the two people making up and being friends again, laughing and chatting with each other. TaeHyung noticed that and pulled me into his embrace.

"Cry. They wouldn't know as I will be the only one that knows." He said placing a hand on my back and slowly patting my back. "It's okay to cry." And I cried again. In his arms.

It is comforting and warm at the same time. I have always found comfort in him, he is the best person to cry on when you are having a difficult time.

And my heartbeat increases every single time he hugs me, it is a nice feeling and I liked it a lot.

I loved being with him.

"Can the two lovebirds not be so lovey-dovey every time I see them?" I instantly stopped crying and I looked up. We are in the room and my parents are looking at us.

"Appa!! Can you not?" I said to him and he just laughed.

"Aigoo... Stop teasing them, Song SungHo..." She nudged him on the shoulder and he stopped. "But I admit that they look good together."

"They are just like Romeo and Juliet no matter how you look at it." He said and I glared at him.

"We are not dating!" I told them.

"Then what is with all the hugging?" He pointed it out and I stood away from him, looking a bit awkward. Why do I like his hugs so much?

"Eomeoni, I need you for a second." He told his foster mother and walked out of the room. She nodded and followed him out.

"Are you serious with that guy?" My father asked again when we are all alone.

"Appa..." I pouted, blushing a little at the sides of my cheeks. "We are just ex-classmates and ex-neighbours, we don't have that kind of a romantic relationship."

"Alright, I'll stop teasing." He said, looking so much happier than before. I guess that TaeHyung's decision to bring her here is right.

"Appa, you will get better in no time. I'm sure of that." I reassured him and gave him a big hug. He must never know that he doesn't have much time left, that would hurt him so much.

"Really?" I nodded and kissed his cheek.

"You will be back in shape in no time and that means healthier food and more exercise for dear Mr Song," I said and he frowned.

"Do we have to?" He asked again. I nodded and smiled, a hint of sadness in it. I was just lying to myself that you would get better. You will never get better.

You got cancer, last stage cancer. You will never get better. "Of course." So I can continue to lie to myself.

He held my hands. "Hye-Ran, promise me that you would find someone suitable, someone, that will love you for who you are--"

"Appa, why are you getting all serious all of a sudden?" I asked, my voice trembling a little.

"You don't need to act like I'm fine and everything. I know that I am going to die."

"Appa!"

"It's okay, everyone dies anyway. It is a matter of time." He exhaled and continued. "I have to say what I have to say or there isn't any time left."

"Appa, don't say it. I beg you..." I said crying again, my eyes desperately pleading him not to. "You can't."

He wiped my tears with one thumb. "I have to, my daughter. If not, when will it be?" He said, his voice becoming softer and softer.

"HyeRan, promise me all these things and be a good daughter. Your mother, JooHee will take care of you when I'm gone. You can reject her if you don't want to, I won't force you. Marry a good person, someone like TaeHyung. He is the right person for you."

"Appa..."

"Go to him when it is the right time for you, he had waited for you all these years just to see you again." He smiled, his lips are already purple. "Then my wish will be fulfilled. Promise me, HyeRan..." His smile slowly became a frown and his grip on my hand weakened, his eyes slowly closing. He's dying...

"Appa! No, you can't die! No!" I hugged him but his soul is already gone. My only father had died.

Soon, the doctors came to acknowledge his death and nurses pulled me away. I tried to get away from him and run to my father but it is too late. He's gone and he is never coming back. He's dead.

I stood still at one corner as I watched the nurses pushed him away, my tears had stopped flowing but my heart is still aching as ever. Appa, I promise that I will fulfil your wish.