Chapter 27

혜란의 엄마 (Hye-Ran's mother)

I immediately left for Australia as soon as I got a phone call from TaeHyung telling me that Hye-Ran's father is dying soon and wants me to be there for his last days. I also told my husband and he readily agreed to say that it is only right that I visit him for his last days.

I boarded the earliest flight and arrived in Australia, Melbourne at midnight and checked myself in a hostel that TaeHyung is in immediately texting TaeHyung at the same time that I have arrived.

He came to the hostel around 20 minutes later giving me a hug as soon as we met. "Eomeoni is everything ok?" He asked for a different term of endearment compared to his other siblings who called me their mother.

"How is HyeRan doing?" I asked.

We placed things behind us a long time ago and our relationship has returned back to when he found out that I wasn't his biological mother. He pleaded for my forgiveness and apologized for all the things that he had said to me the past few years but I didn't blame him for it. I lied to him after all.

"She passed out from crying too much but she just had dinner with me earlier." He explained. "The doctors said that he only had a week to live on."

I nodded, no words are to be said. I can't believe that he would be the one that would leave before me. He was so physically strong in his younger days and I guess the decades of hard and strenuous work had damaged his body, hence giving him a weak heart and high blood pressure. He had also worked hard for HyeRan whom I decided to leave behind after a long time of considering.

I couldn't take care of two children on my own so I decided to only take HaeNa and leave HyeRan with him who has more financial ability than I am. I am selfish but I had no choice, I didn't work during all these time and moreover, I didn't have enough money in the first place.

Taking care of HaeNa was tiring so I took up 2 jobs as soon as I returned back to Daegu where I was born. HaeNa and I often have to starve because of the little money that I earned every day. I would cry myself to sleep and wished that I would have a little more money, in that way HaeNa wouldn't have to suffer so much being with me.

That ended when I met him, TaeHyung and TaeHo's father. He gave me another chance to love someone and soon I was married to him, bringing HaeNa with me. His wife died from childbirth a year ago and he was looking for someone that could take care of his children so I was the one that took on the job of taking care of them as well as my own child.

I have thought about HyeRan sometimes but I didn't worry much as I knew that SungHo would take care of her very well. He would have told me to take her as well if he didn't want to take care of her.

[SungHo is Hye-Ran's father's name.]

She has pretty eyes like me and her smile is exactly like SungHo's, she grew up well indeed under a rich family. I went to bed after doing some unpacking and woke up early the next day, TaeHyung is already up watching TV at its lowest volume, his legs spread open and he is wearing hoodie and shorts. He saw me and changed his sitting position immediately, his legs are now crossed and he is sitting like a little kid.

"Eomeoni, you are awake already?" I nodded.

I went into the shower and came out wearing something more suited for the weather here in Melbourne. Now it is snowing so I needed to wear something more warm and comfy or not I'm going to catch a cold real soon. We decided to take the subway to get to the hospital as the traffic jam is really something, especially in the winters. You can be late even if you come out of the house very early.

We went up to the 3rd floor where the intensive care unit is at and Hyeran is, as expected standing beside him. TaeHyung tapped her on the shoulder and she looked up at him and then to me, her eyes looking down at the floor instantly.

She then stepped away for a while, making way for me and I walked each step slowly towards the person that I once loved deeply, Song SungHo. He is still unconscious and he looked so pale, he had aged so much the last time I saw him face to face. That time, he looked so much happier and his cheeks were pinkish but now, he looked so dead.

Why the hell did you even overwork yourself so much when you were already doing so much?  My hand slowly made its way to his face, touching his face and a drop of tear landed on his face. I touched my cheeks and realized that I was the one behind it. I am crying for him because I felt sad for him. I shouldn't have left him in the first place...

"SungHo ssi..." I said while in tears, my hand interlocking with his. "Why have you become like this? Is it because of me?" I said to him even though I know that he wouldn't hear it, he is still in a deep coma.

"I know that I was wrong for everything that I have done to you. The fact that I left you because my feelings for you have faded, I made you so heartbroken and you turned all your attention to work while bringing up HyeRan by yourself. I have made you give up on love and I regretted divorcing you but I couldn't as there are no more feelings between the two of us." I said covering my face with both my hands. "I'm really sorry, SungHo ssi..."

I heard a cough and I turned towards the person lying down on the bed, his eyes looking towards me. "Han JooHee..."

"I've waited for you since a long time ago."