Chapter 24

헤란

It's been 5 years since I left Daegu and also 5 years after I went abroad with my father to live permanently. We had enough of this country and decided to live our lives in Australia, the land down under.

I also graduated from a high school in Seoul, one thing that I didn't expect to happen. I thought that I would study and graduate from ChunKook high school, the school in Daegu but I still came back to Seoul to complete my studies in a completely new school where students accepted me for who I am and wasn't the people that I have been studying all these time.

I got my high school certificate and went to Australia immediately when my father placed someone in charge of the Seoul headquarters and set up a new company in Australia. I attended university in Melbourne and also got a job as an interior designer in order to take over my father's company when he retires.

And today, I met him on the streets again after a long time of avoiding him. He still looked the same but his features are as handsome as before, his maturity enhancing the whole of him. He looked very shocked, his eyes doubled in size and his jaw dropped. He was wearing a long trench coat and looked as if he is part of a winter photo shoot.

I pretended to look down at my phone, pretending to be quite busy with my phone and turned on my heels away from him, walking very briskly. He also caught in my footsteps, walking at the same speed as me. My footsteps quickened and soon I was running, fast as the wind. Soon, we were on a busy street where there are a lot of people walking around. It is a sale and everyone is hoping that they would get to buy something there.

I skillfully got my way away from him, slipping out of the crowd. I panted and caught my breath while still trying to look out for him. Why would he appear at this time??

It's been so long since I left Daegu and I would never want to return back there. I noticed a shadow in front of me and I didn't want to look up as I knew who was it.

Kim TaeHyung. "Long time no see." He said, his voice is as husky as ever and it seems that it has got sexier as he ages.

I ignored him and wanted to run away again when he grabbed my wrist. "Let's go somewhere else." I wanted to run away but I knew that he would keep finding me until I'm willing to give up and talk to him. For the first time in 5 years.

We walked back and passed the same street where I ran away from him but now we are walking through people like friends, him walking behind me and me guiding him through the crowds and we finally arrived at a cafe that I frequently go to.

We took a seat at the back, the one facing the window and I sat down opposite him. "Would you like to drink anything?"

"A café latte," I said and he made his way to the counter where he would order two cups of coffee for the both of us.

I looked at my phone and looked at the schedule that I had planned for myself. Ever since I graduated, I have picked up the habit of writing everything down in case if I forgot anything. So I basically had my life planned on my phone. I looked at my schedule and I had nothing to do today so I would have enough time to talk to him today. 

"Err... One coffee, Café latte." I overheard his conversation with the Barista at the counter as he is trying to order. "And one more hat choco." He says it in the Korean accent.

"Hot chocolate?"

"No, I want hat choco." I chuckled at his broken English.

"So do you want a hot chocolate?"

I better go over or he is going to fight with the poor Barista who is trying to explain things to him. "Sorry. He meant a hot chocolate with more foam." I said to the Barista.

"So, a hot chocolate and a café latte?" He repeated the order and I nodded.

He paid the exact change and the Barista had a very annoyed expression on his face. I nudged him and I looked at him. "The Korean accent doesn't work well here," I told him.

"I know but he just doesn't understand what I am saying." He said. "Are you saying that I am stupid?"I felt that the distance between the two of us have closed up again.

"Of course. If not for me, I would have to bail you out at the police station." I said to him and he scoffed.

"It doesn't mean that you are better than me because you stayed for 5 years." He said. "If I did the same, I would be at the same level as an English teacher."

We got our coffees and we sat down together like we are in a classroom again but now we are a bit mature in our age and thinking. "What do you work as now?" I asked him first as he is never the first one to initiate a conversation, I was always the one.

"You really want to know?" I nodded and he sighed. "I am a photographer."

"You take pictures of sexy girls?" I started teasing him.

"W-what?" He spat out his drink and I stared at him in disgust but still handed him a napkin nevertheless.

"So you really do that to make a living--"

"No, ok? Stop with that nonsense or people are really going to believe that."

"Then what kind of photography do you do?"

"I do all kinds but mostly candid and fashion photography." He explained and I nodded.  So we are in the same profession, we both deal with aesthetics.

"Then what about Taeho? A teacher?"

He nodded. "He is a teacher in Chunkook highschool."

"Really? I bet that there will be a lot of students following him everywhere because of his handsome looks." I could see him looking towards another direction looking rather annoyed.  

"Then what is your job? Is it something related to design?" He said and I nodded.

"I design rooms and houses," I said and felt a vibration in my coat pocket, I took it out and it was from my father. "Excuse me..." I said to him before picking up.

"Yeoboseyo?" I answered.

"Sajangnim, your father fainted and he is on the way to the nearest hospital on an ambulance." My father's worker told me and I immediately dropped the cup of coffee. It fell and dropped to the floor, crashing to pieces. The coffee also stained part of my beautiful coat, turning it from white to coffee-coloured.

"Yah... Are you that clumsy?" He said standing up and pulling me away from the mess that I just caused. He took a few napkins and helped me wipe my coat. "What is with you-- Are you okay?" He asked looking at me and I couldn't answer him back, my mind still on the part when I was told that my father was sent to the hospital.

I finally looked at him, tugging at his coat. "B-bring me to the hospital this instant... My father fainted... again...' My tears flowed down at the last word.