Chapter 21

헤란

I froze in shock as I heard those few words coming from HaeNa unnie who is calling that someone in the toilet. Is that really true?

"Omma is HyeRan really my younger sister?" She asked again, unsure of the answer that she had asked as well.  What is this? Have I been fed with a lie all these times?

Flashback

HaeNa unnie excused herself to the toilet after feeling quite uncomfortable and especially that word that she uttered. Appa. Why did she say Appa?

"Abeonim, do you want to have some fruits?" TaeHo suggested trying to change the weird atmosphere around us.

"It's okay." He said, still feeling a bit weak.

"Fruits can make you recover faster, really." He added and forced TaeHyung to agree along with him. "See? Even my older brother thinks that way." I rolled my eyes at the two. What bad acting...

"HyeRan, go check on her. She's taking a long time to come back." My father said and I nodded.

"Maybe she is having a stomachache as she ate 3 apples before coming here."

"Stop with that nonsense. Everyone knows that it is not possible." TaeHyung hits his brother on the shoulder. "Just check on her, I'm sure that she is fine." He told me and I nodded, going to the toilet on the same floor.

I walked to the toilets and was about to enter when I heard someone talking over the phone. It was HaeNa unnie's voice. Who is she talking to?

"Omma, sorry to interrupt you at this time but I have one question." She paused for a moment and cleared her throat. "It is about HyeRan, the girl living on the same floor as me. Song Hyeran." Why is she asking about me all of a sudden? And to her mother?

What does her mother know about me that she needed to know about? "20 years ago, you got divorced and you brought me along. Is Hye-Ran's father my father?" What? Is she really related to my father? What do the Kims have to do with my father?

She was silent for a moment and started speaking again. "Then is HyeRan my younger sister?"

End of flashback

I came into the bathroom and she was indeed on the phone with her mother tears streaming down her face. She noticed me and put down her phone. "Hye-Ran..." She ended the call and faced me. "Did you heard it?"

She was trembling and her eyes were all over the place. She must be in the same situation as me, helpless and speechless of the truth that was presented to us. "Yes, I heard it loud and clear!" I said raising my voice to her. "Are you shocked that I knew everything?"

"HyeRan..."

"Why do you have to lie to me? What did I do wrong? All these times, I have thought that the person that gave birth to me has died a long time ago and she is now, seeing me all the time becoming someone's mother." I said, biting my bottom lip.

"I get why TaeHyung hated her so much. It is because she is a liar. She lied to everyone about her existence and the fact that she abandoned me and left for someone else."

"No, she is not." Kim HaeNa said trying to sound right. "Omma is not that kind of a person."

"She is," I yelled again. I'm sure that everyone could hear my voice outside loud and clear. "Why are you still defending her after all these?"

"Because she is my mother, you bitch. No wonder you had no manners because you didn't have a mother." She said pulling me into a hug. "That's why you are like that, you poor thing."

I tried to push my way out but her grip is too tight. "She did this to protect me and her. If she didn't remarry, we would have to sleep on the streets all our life. Omma didn't have the money to supply us for one year, she just needed to get out from him as fast as possible."

"I don't care. She is still a bad mother that chose to leave me with my father. Do you know how much it hurts to not have a mother by my side?"

"I don't know but I'm sorry for not knowing earlier. If I have known about you being my sister, I would have told you from the start and you wouldn't have to feel like you are being betrayed." She stroked my hair. "I'm sorry for not recognizing you sooner and this wouldn't have happened. If we grew up together, everything would be so different."

With whatever strength I have, I used it to push her away. I panted and tried to catch my breath after doing that. Why the hell does she have that much strength? "I hate you and your mother forever and never come to see me again. I won't ever want you as a sister." I said running out of the toilet and bumping into someone, that chest and height difference, I immediately knew who was it.

Instead of pushing him away and running away, I held onto him, my head buried in his chest, crying as hard as I can. "Taehyung-ah..." She called for him.

"Hypocrite." He said to her and he brought me to somewhere else. I could hear TaeHo as well and I wanted to run away, but he pulled me back.

"It's okay. Stay here." He said, his soothing voice calming me down. I never felt so calm crying in anyone else except for his.

"You are booking a room tonight?" I heard TaeHo said and he 'Mhm' to him meaning yes. For what?

"Don't tell anyone about her whereabouts, she needs to straighten out her thoughts alone." He said.

"Is that what you wanted?" He said to me and I nodded.

He released me and turned me around. We are already in the hotel room and passed me the keycard. "Stay here and leave whenever you want. Go back to Seoul if that is what you wanted." He said.

"Call me if you need help," TaeHo said with a sad expression on his face. "Don't call TaeHyung, call me." I would've laughed at his humour but I didn't have the mood to even laugh. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster today alone, happy one moment and sad the next moment.

I just gave them a weak smile and went to the place that I would stay overnight at. I hope that my thoughts would get straightened out and I would have a clear answer by then.