Friends to Enemies to Friends Again

"I resented my mother for leaving me. And then I began resenting you."

      "Why me?"

      "Because you're everything I ever wanted to be."

"Me? What qualities do I possess you could want?" I'm baffled.

"Your honesty. Your bravery. Your purity. Everything I've lacked my whole life."

       I throw my head back, laughing. "Jungkook, c'mon. You have everything I have and more. You've gotten way more citizenship awards than me. Teachers worship you like a model student. Kids admire you for stopping fights at school. Everybody loves you."

"Everybody loves me, huh? Then tell me why my mother left me all alone in this world?" He yelled.

"I-I can't tell you why, but sometimes we don't know the full story-"

"You know what the worst part was? My mom didn't even leave me a message in her suicide letter.
She left me nothing. She couldn't even tell me that I wasn't at fault. So perhaps I should blame myself. I was a burden to her." Jungkook presses his lips together.

"You don't know what went through her mind. She could have been suffering from something else," I tried to explain.

"Well I'll never know, huh? She played her cruel game on me and now she isn't here, anymore. She pretended she cared for me and I care for her but she left me. That was the closest thing I ever had to love, and it's all gone," he sobs.

"Jungkook, I love you."

"Uh what?" He raises his eyebrow and backs an inch away from me.
I covered my mouth with my hand. What just came over me?

"I mean, as a classmate. And sure we didn't get along for a few years but I always admired you. So perhaps I can't give you parental love or romantic love, but I can give you my companionship," I explained.
      Yup, that was what I wanted to give to him.

Jungkook's bottom lip quivers. "You'd never want to love me if you knew the truth about me..."
"What truth? C'mon let's be honest," I beg.
"No. This is where I draw the line. You'd never face me again if you knew what I've done-"

"Rain," I interrupt him.
"What?"

"Rain. Isn't that our safe word if we're crossing each other's boundaries?" I ask.

"Yes...yes, it is."
He snorts, resting his head against his palm, with his elbow on the couch. The frown lines from his forehead disappears, and are replaced with crinkles below his eyes.

"Jungkook..if you're not comfortable with telling me something, you don't have to. It's hard revealing every part of yourself to someone else... Even me, I've gone through some weird stuff. Things that would make me sound...crazy if I revealed those details," I shuddered.

"Oh, really? Now I'm curious." He rubs his hands together in anticipation.

"I promise I'll tell you...one day. Just not today."

"Okay, that's fair. Maybe I'll be there." He shrugged.

"I hope you will be. I know you will."

Jungkook chuckles. "How can you be so sure?"

"Just trust me on this. I promise I'll tell you all my strange secrets. We'll still talk in the future." I bite my lip.

"Okay. But why are you so serious about this?"

Because your death is predicted to happen in 15 days.