1. Breathless

• Dedicated to ADITI

It's late. I don't have a clock in my room as of now so I didn't know the time. I can hear the noises from outside my room. My mother's screaming at someone, probably talking to her assistant.

Father's probably asleep by now. Vincent Alvinston, he's part of some big company that exports textiles to countries over the world. He has to get up early usually for work. That's my family. Just the three of us. We live in a rather big house considering it's just us.

I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but we shifted to Raleigh, North Carolina for Father's work. I didn't really like it in Milwaukee anyways so this was a good change for me. I start school tomorrow and I'm terrified, I'm not very good with people.

I'm not warm and I'm sure no one liked me in my horrendous school in Milwaukee because I never spoke to anyone. I've always been alone.

Mother opens the door and enters, Walks up to my bed and says, "Riley, are you asleep sweetie?" I answer rubbing my eyes, "No, mother, I'm wide awake, why?" She seems rather upset, must be something to do with all the screaming.

"Sweetie, I'm afraid you won't be going to the school we decided to put you into. I'm really Sorry Riley, we tried but they refused to take you because of your marks last semester. We're going to have to put you in one of the public schools around here."

I knew my marks would affect my future here so I wasn't the least bit surprised. "Its fine mother, it's my fault. I'll adjust, don't worry, you should go sleep, I'm sleepy too" was all I said.

I'm not sleepy at all; I just stared out the window.

Since we'd shifted there was this one house which was visible from my window that I found very peculiar. It had a small little gate that creaked every time wind blew, at first I was disturbed by it but soon I got used to it. It looked exactly like one of those tiny cozy houses, old couples in movies lived in.

I'm sure no one has been there in a long time. The door had a lock on it but it looked so delicate that even If I would have given it a slight kick it would be down.

I am pretty exhausted due to the massive amount of unpacking I did and so I decide to close my eyes and try sleeping.

"Get up you hideous child, due to your idiocy we have found you a public school, one that takes the stupid ones, like you! Now get up or do you want me to drag you down by your hair?" That's my Father.

His nice words are usually the first things I hear in the morning. Mostly I'm described as "hideous, worthless, nasty or atrocious" so I'm used to it. I get up yawning, pushing off my soft blue blanket from over my face.

I go take a look in the mirror and my hair is a mess, but I look fairly okay. I quickly have my bath and rush downstairs; I take the bus to my new school. It's so different; there isn't a school bus as there was in Milwaukee.

I know the roads pretty well by now so I get to the school without any difficulty. There's a huge sign that says "RALEIGH BROOKSTONE HIGH SCHOOL". I walk through the halls and they are bigger than I imagined.

Everyone is staring at me, like I'm a specie they've never seen before. I try to ignore the number of eyes I have on me and walk to my first class on my first day. English Literature. I take a seat at the back, the rest of them are occupied and I hate being the center of attention so I'm fine back here.

The teacher walks in, she's a young woman, with blonde hair and hazel eyes. She's pretty but her hairstyle makes her look older than she is.

She keeps her file on the large desk and says with a smile "Morning Class, today we have a new student joining us, she's new in the city so be nice to her and help her fit in, Miss Riley Alvinston, will you please stand up and introduce yourself to the class?"

The words "introduce yourself" scared me, what was I to say? I stood up, my hands shaking, and just said " H-H-Hey I'm Riley Alvinston, I'm from Milwaukee and I j-j-just shifted here, and I like music so yeah that's me" and I sat down. Gosh I felt so stupid.

I sat through the class with a few turning heads time after time just checking what I was doing. The bell rang and everyone left the class I waited back for a few moments just to digest everything.

I walked out and felt alone just like I was in my last school. I walked to my locker and dumped my books in there. I felt a hand over my shoulder, I turned and there stood a girl, she was my height, skinny, pale but pretty face with short brown hair hanging from her temples.

She was wearing a flowery top, which I liked very much and shorts a little above her knees. She hugged me unexpectedly and said "Hi, I'm Natalie, Natalie Sears! You said you were new here so I thought I'd come introduce myself to you, don't worry about anything while you're here, I'm always there so just ask me if you need anything, you can come sit with me during all your classes and during lunch break too, don't be scared! I have to go now but I'll see you later?" I just nodded my head and said "Yeah, sure, thanks".

She seemed nice. We had Science class after and how I hated science! I walked in the lab and again look the last bench I could see. We were allowed to use our phones during class so I quickly checked what was trending on twitter.

While scrolling down someone snatched my phone from my hand and I stood up, and yelled "HEY, give that ba.." I stopped right there. I was staring at boy a little taller than me with light brown hair that slightly covered his forehead.

His eyes were brown and he wore a big smile on his face. My phone was in his hand and I just could not stop staring at him. He was flawless, at least to me. He snapped his fingers in front of my face which brought me back to reality. He typed some digits on my phone and gave it back.

"Hi, I'm Neil Giles, you must have already heard of me. I'm captain of the football team." He said with a smile. "You seem interesting and I would like to get to know you, I'm sure you would like the same. My digits are already in your phone, give me a call. For now why don't you shift a little so that I can sit right beside you."

I didn't know what to say, he was so fascinating. We talked a whole lot during class. Science interested neither one of us. He even asked me out. We were to meet in the evening to grab a bite. I was ecstatic and had to tell Natalie about it. Lunch break was a few hours later so as soon as the bell rang I ran to Natalie.

She was a little startled as I took her by surprise and knocked down the books in her hand without realizing. We laughed it off though and I helped her with her books while telling her all about Neil. She didn't seem very interested and I felt as if she was ignoring me so I asked her "What's wrong Natalie?"

She looked at me angrily and said "Its Neil, Riley! He does this with every girl. He's been with several girls and he's going to break your heart Riley, please be careful. He did the same with me and I haven't been the same since."

At that moment, I didn't know what to say. I really liked Neil; I wanted to get to know him. I thought maybe I could change him so I ignored Natalie, turned and said "Thanks for the advice but I don't need it, Neil's great and I think he's changed because the way he spoke to me it sure seemed like I was the only girl he wanted to be with. I'm sorry about you and him, but I'm meeting him today no matter what"

It was a little harsh but I really liked Neil and I wanted to believe that he had changed. I walked away and had lunch alone.

________________________________________

Thank you so much for giving my book a chance. Please go on if you like it! I love you all. It means a lot to me. Also, please vote and comment. Thank you xoxo

________________________________________