16. Prom-posal

When I was young I always had this stupid fantasy that I would go for Prom wearing a beautiful white gown and I’d be picked up by my oh-so-sweet boyfriend and we’d dance to ‘First Dance’. My fantasy was obviously not happening now that my oh–so-sweet boyfriend had cheated on me. I wasn’t going for Prom. Seeing all those happy couples there, I’d probably puke. So Prom was a big no.

I cuddled up in my blue blanket and switched on the television. As usual there was nothing worth watching. I flipped through some channels and found myself staring at a woman while she was singing ‘Heart will go on’ on a huge platform. THE VOICE! The one singing competition that was fair. Blind auditions, wow! You judge the contestants on their voices and nothing else. This was the one place looks or your body shape didn’t matter. I thought a little about it and checked when the next season auditions would be. They were in a year, Ugh. It was okay though, I could practice and perfect my high notes till then. It was just a day since I sent Jake my demo and I was already jumping anxiously waiting for his reply. Jake was the music company guy, Cam told me about. Apparently he was also looking for someone to help him with his debut album. He was new in the industry. I didn’t know much about him yet.

My bed suddenly started vibrating. I jumped at my phone, as usual I had forgotten to put it off vibrate. It was Cam, “Hey freak! How was it?” I said. “Riley, it was amazing! We just cuddled and spoke about us for hours and hours. Thanks I couldn’t have done it without you.” he said softly. “Shut up Cam, you haven’t won a Nobel Prize okay? You’d be with her even if I wouldn’t have done anything.” That’s when I kind of figured out that everything would probably be the same without me. Everyone’s lives will go on just fine. I was just there, for the sake of being alive. The thought of death was comforting for some reason. I snapped out of it when he replied. “Whatever Riley! Are you going for prom? I’m going with Nat, obviously! I can’t wait to see her! I have to ask her though, if she’d want to go with Me.” he said his voice getting louder. “I’m going to pass, I can’t go for Prom without a date and I don’t want to go anyways. But you guys enjoy and Cam, I must say, you are so naïve. She’s your girlfriend now! Obviously she wants to go for Prom with you! Now think of a good Prom-posal.” I said.

“Alright, I’ll think of something! Thanks Rileyyyyyy”, he stretched my name and hung up. As soon as he hung up I got a call from Nat. It’s like they were connected somehow. Till one finishes the other patiently waits. “HEY NAUGHTY NAT! WHAT’S ON YOUR MIND?” I said excitedly. “HEY BITCH, I’M ON TOP OF THE WORLD! CAM’S GREAT, HE’S ALL I’VE EVER WAITED FOR! I THINK I LOVE HIM.” “THAT’S GREAT NAT, HE IS REALLY SWEET…TRUST ME HE’S GOT A LOT MORE SURPRISES PLANNED FOR YOU!” I said. “OH ALRIGHT” she said. “OH BY THE WAY I KNOW YOU DON’T WANT TO COME FOR PROM BUT THE BAND BROKE UP, WE DIDN’T HAVE ANY GOOD MUSIC SO I PUT DOWN YOUR NAME FOR SINGING ON STAGE WHILE EVERYONE DANCES! YOU DON’T HAVE TO DANCE, JUST SING YOUR HEART OUT! PLUS I’LL NEED YOU TO BE THERE FOR ME RI..” I cut her off. “YOU DID WHAT, OH MY GOD, NAT, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?”

I took a breath. “OKAY OKAY I’LL DO IT BUT JUST FOR YOUR SAKE. I DON’T WANT TO SEE NEIL WITH HIS BARBIE.” I said finally.  “THANKS RILEY I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUU.”  She sang through the phone. “NOW WHO’S GETTING ALL LESBIAN, BITCH?”  I laughed and said. We spoke about Cam and the songs I should sing and then hung up. It was nice speaking to Nat, and it was even better seeing her happy.

The next two days I spent with my two best friends. They were stuck to each other, constantly praising one another. A day before Prom we went out for ice cream. We reached the shop and there were two men wearing black. They were husky and I could see their veins popping out from their arms as they folded them. Suddenly, one of them picked up Nat and kept her on his shoulder. She was kicking and screaming. I tried to pull them off her but the second man grabbed me. I was trying to fight back but he was too strong. I stared at Cam and he seemed to be having fun. He was staring at us and laughing. I yelled at him. “WHAT THE FUCK CAM! HELP US, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?”

My hands were hurting after flapping them around so much trying to escape from the strange man’s arms. The man lifting Nat turned to the ice cream counter and Cam went to the opposite side of the counter. He slid open the glass where all the ice creams went kept and Nat’s eyes lit up. I ran forward to see what it was. The man walked beside me still holding my sides. Nat was still on top of the man. He put her down as she stared at the ice creams.

There was a letter on every ice cream box. It read “WILL YOU GO TO PROM WITH ME?” It was so cute. Nat was tearing up. Cam held her and said “I love you so much Nat, will you go to prom with me?” There were a few customers in the shop and they chanted together “PLEASE GO FOR PROM WITH THE CUTE BOY.” It was so adorable. Cam was so thoughtful! Nat loved ice cream, what better place to propose to her than an ice cream shop. PERFECT. She wiped her tears and hugged Cam tight. “YES YES YES” she cried out. Cam held her face in his hands and kissed her softly.

I looked at the man holding me. “Why are you still touching me!?” I screamed at him. “Cam what’s with the men?” I looked at him with a confused face. “That was just to scare you two! The look on your faces was priceless!” he said and laughed. I rolled my eyes and walked towards them. We hugged and got out of there. I was jealous of Nat to be very honest. I wanted Neil back even after everything that had happened. I wanted him to hold me and kiss me and I wanted to stare in his eyes and feel like nothing else mattered but us. I missed him. I loved him.