31. Can you feel them?

I would like to dedicate this chapter to the lovely @ksksgita! Thank you so much for the new cover xx

---------------------------------------------

"She'll get better soon. The test results will be here in an hours time but we won't know much until she's awake."

"Can we take her home once she's awake?

"I'm not afraid not. We have to keep an eye on her. But maybe in a week, if she's stable."

I opened my eyes to a white room with a tiny television set in front of me. I was laying on an uncomfortable hard bed and could barely move. I heard a voice, blinked and turned towards it.

"She's awake! Riley's awake! Call the doctor, Cam!" I heard Nat say. She ran up to me and held my hand. "How are you feeling?" she said with tears in her eyes and a concerned look on her face. "Got a severe headache, and everything hurts but otherwise I feel okay" I stuttered.

"I was so scared Ri, you weren't waking up! You've been out for 3 days!" Nat said softly. "3 days? Woah!"

There was a middle aged man standing at the door. He was wearing a white coat. He walked in and smiled at me. " I'm Dr. Simon Woodstock, How are you feeling?"he said. "Everything hurts and I have an excruciating pain in my head" "That's bound to happen, it's normal, don't worry." "When can I go home?" I said.

"Probably next week, we need to run a few more tests." "I need to use the washroom" I said aloud. "Sure, it's right there" the nurse said pointing to a door next to the head of my bed. I tried to move my legs but couldn't feel anything. I touched them with my hands and they were there. "I can't feel my legs" I said.

I tried standing on my feet but collapsed as soon as I touched my feet to the ground. I sat on the floor staring at my feet. I couldn't feel them. What was happening? I looked up at Nat and Cam who stood next to my bed. They gulped and didn't say a word. I looked at the Dr. Simon with tear-filled eyes and yelled, "Is this normal? Is this bound to happen? Why can't I walk?"

He looked at me in despair. Nat and Cam helped pick me up and lay me back on the bed. "I need to get a X-ray scan of your legs. Nurse take her to the 4th floor" said Dr. Simon and left the room. I was laying there in shock. Nat and Cam both tried comforting me but nothing seemed to be working. The nurse put me onto a wheelchair and brought me up to the 4th floor.

A while after the X-ray scanning, Dr. Simon came back to the room. "Hi Riley, this is going to be difficult to hear but your wounds on your back have caused a great deal of damage to your spine. You have a deep cut in your thigh as you can see" "What are you trying to say?" "What I'm trying to say is that you may not be able to walk."

I stared at him while the cruel words came out of his mouth. "You may not be able to walk" the words kept ringing in my head. I held my head in my hands and looked to the floor. After everything I had been through, they were telling me that now I couldn't walk either?