18. Jar of Hearts

It was time to get ready for Prom. There were so many girls out there waiting for this night and then there was me. I didn't feel like going.

I washed my hair and straightened it. No makeup. I didn't want to look like I just stepped out of a horror movie. I slipped into my dress without even bothering to iron it and waited for Nat's call. Cam and her were coming to pick me up. I heard a car honking and looked down from my window. It was them. I ran down, kissed my mom on her cheek and said ,"Don't wait up!"

I sat in the car and we drove to school. I promised myself that this was the last time I was going into that terrible school. I was going to make things right with Neil. I missed him and I needed him back somehow, it definitely made more sense to me than getting over him because that seemed humanly impossible.

We entered the place and there were so many people. Some were drinking, some were dancing, some we're kissing in the corners and some were without dates and just standing and looking at the couples in love. Basically that's where I belonged but I had to go on stage and sing.

I spotted Neil talking to Jason and I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder. He turned and looked at me, he raised his eyebrows and said,"Hey, wow you look stunning Riles!" I just smiled and said,"Can you meet me afterwards? Once you're free or whatever?"

"Yes sure, I'm so happy you're speaking to me, I missed you." He hugged me and it felt so good to have him back in my arms. I was dying for that feeling and there it was. He was back, my world was back in my arms.

I heard someone call my name. I was called on stage to sing. I walked up and could hear a lot of people just criticising me."She can sing? I didn't know dog's sang!" "Why her? Ugh." "Get off of stage whore!" The voices were killing me. My head started to spin. I heard Nat scream,"YOU GO GIRL, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THESE ASSHOLES!"

I opened my eyes and held the mike. This was what I knew best. I was born to perform. I signalled the guitarist and he started his work! I sang along," The story starts when it was hot and it was summer and I had it all, I had him right there where I wanted him, she came along got him alone and let's here the applause, she took him faster than you could say sabotage!"

I flipped my hair, dipped the mike and continued singing. "She's not a saint and she's not what you think, she's an actress, oh ooh, she's better known for the things that she does on the mattress oh ooh! Soon she's gonna find stealing other peoples toys on the playground won't make you many friends, she should keep in mind, she should keep in mind there is nothing I do better than revenge."

Everyone was singing along an dancing to the beats. Nat and Cam were dancing with each other and everyone seemed to be really enjoying. I continued singing and made sure I had a big finish. "She took him faster than you could say sabotage!" I hit the notes perfectly while twirling the mike in my hand and turning myself to reveal my dress.

Everyone clapped and I felt content. I loved seeing them happy. I looked at Nat and she gave me a thumbs up! I looked around the crowd for Neil and saw him looking at me. I had chills go up my spine. Every single time he looked at me I had butterflies.

Bridget looked at me and smirked. I was scared because that look meant she was going to do something mean. She started moving towards Neil. She kissed his lips and pulled away. She shot me a grin and kissed him again. My mouth fell open. He kissed her back and mouthed the words,"I love you."

I could feel the pain in my chest. Everyone started requesting me to sing another song. I was already on stage and so I couldn't just leave. I picked up the mike and started singing. I could feel tears on my cheeks but I made sure my voice wouldn't crack. The pianist played his introduction part and I started singing.

"No I can't take one more step towards you, cause all that's waiting is regret. Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore, you lost the love I loved the most." I wiped my tears and looked back at Neil. I was heartbroken for the second time. I continued singing, still looking at him. "I learned to live half alive and now you want me one more time! Who do you think you are, running around leaving scars, collecting your Jar of Hearts and tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul so don't come back for me. Who do you think you are?"

I walked off stage and went closer to Neil. I stood right in front of him and sang to him. Tears still escaping my eyes. "It took so long just to feel alright, remember how to put back the light in my eyes, I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed cause you broke all your promises and now you're back, you don't get to get me back! So who do you think you are! Running round leaving scars, collecting your Jar of Hearts and tearing love apart.. You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul, don't come back for me.. Who do you think you are?" My voice had become heavy. It was starting to become weak. I looked into his eyes." Who do you think you are? Who do you think... You are?"

I threw the mike on the floor and ran out of the room. I went outside and hid in a corner. I needed some air. I felt like I couldn't breathe. The tears kept coming and my head was spinning. I threw my back against a pillar and leaned down. I sat down and pulled my knees together and buried my face in them.

What was I thinking? He obviously didn't want to have anything to do with me. He had Bridget. I was too weak to move. I laid there and kept crying. After a while Nat and Cam found me and ran towards me. "Oh my god Riley! Are you alright?" I couldn't speak. I just blinked my eyes and put my hard forward. Nat grabbed it and asked Cam to pick me up. Cam picked me in his arms and laid me in his car. We drove back to Nat's place and Cam carried me up to her room. He placed me on the bed, kissed Nat and left.