23. Beneath Your Beautiful

It was exactly 8 when I heard a knock on my door. I walked towards it and opened it. There he stood looking flawless as ever. Jake. "Hey!" He said happily. "Hey" I said back softly. "You look nice, ready to leave?" He said and handed me his arm. "Ready!" I said and wrapped my arm around his, locked the door and walked out.

We drove to a nearby restaurant and got a table on the beach. "Jake, this looks like a date. I don't want you to get the wrong idea." I said. "Riley, you worry too much. Just friends is perfect." He held my hand and comforted me. I smiled and looked down at our hands.

We laughed a lot and spoke about so many different things. There wasn't a moment when either one of us had nothing to say. I felt like he understood me.

I had a little salad and some soup, I had to make sure I wasn't eating too much. I got my wallet out to pay after our meal. "What do you think you're doing?" He said looking at the money in my hands. "Paying for our food?" I asked.

"No, I can't let you do that." He said reaching into his pocket. "Jake, this isn't a date. I can pay for my own food and I want to pay for yours too. It's fine." I said and placed the money in the waiter's hand. "Alright! Anyways I forgot to carry my wallet so it's all good." He said and grinned. We laughed together and stood up.

He started to walk towards his car when I said,"Hey Jake, could we walk back?" He turned back and looked at me. He scanned me and said,"Sure, I'd love to."

We walked on the soft sand. I held my heels in my hand. My feet touched the sand and felt cold. I felt calm and happy for once. Jake pointed at a man and ran in front of me. He returned back in about 2 minutes with a guitar across his chest.

I looked into his angelic eyes and smiled. He said,"Join me!" and started strumming. As soon as I heard the pattern I figured out the song. He walked backwards and faced me while I walked forwards facing him.

He smiled and that was when I heard him sing for the first time. "You tell all the boys "no",Makes you feel good, yeah. I know you're out of my league

But that won't scare me away, oh, no

You've carried on so long, You couldn't stop if you tried it. You've built your wall so high, That no one could climb it,But I'm gonna try.

Would you let me see beneath your beautiful?" He came closer to me and held my hand. He kneeled down and continued strumming. I used my other hand to cover my mouth.

I was shocked. He got up and continued singing,"Would you let me see beneath your perfect? Take it off now girl, take it off now girl, I wanna see inside...Would you let me see beneath your beautiful tonight?" He looked at me and smiled.

I joined in and sang the next verse. "You let all the girls go

Makes you feel good, don't it?

Behind your Broadway show

I heard a boy say, "Please, don't hurt me" You've carried on so long

You couldn't stop if you tried it.

You've built your wall so high

That no one could climb it.

But I'm gonna try" I crossed my hands against my chest and hit the note perfectly.

He gave me a big smile and joined in with me for the chorus. "Would you let me see beneath your beautiful? Would you let me see beneath your perfect? Take it off now boy, take it off now boy, I wanna see inside! Would you let me see beneath your beautiful tonight? Oh oh oh oh oooh oh!" I sang freely.

We finished the song, he gave the guitar back to the man and hugged me. It lasted for over 10 seconds. His soft touch felt amazing. He pulled away and put his hands on my arms. "You were amazing Riley!" He said. His eyes were big and he looked straight into mine. In that moment I had forgotten about everything. I leaned in and wrapped my arms around him. "Thank you Jake, that felt so good, you have no idea. You were AMAZING too!" I whispered into his ears. It felt like we were the only two people there.

I pulled away and smiled. "What felt good? Hugging me or singing with me?" He said with a smirk. "Jake!" I said slapping his arm. We walked back to our rooms. We had an early start. "I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast, alright?" He kissed me on my cheek and left for his room. "Yes, goodnight." I said and got into my room. I was too tired to even slip out of my dress. I crashed onto the bed and went to sleep.