↳ EIGHT

THE SOUND OF a shot glass hitting the shiny bar counter had developed from an unfamiliar thud to a nagging, repetitive one that was echoing inside Izzy's head as if to question what the hell she was doing — surely, getting wasted with the sun still up wasn't smart, especially for someone so incapable to hold her liquor — but every time, the sound was drowned out by Mazikeen's tempting, dark laughter in contrast to Izzy's own sweet giggles, and she remembered exactly why she was there. Knocking back shots with the alleged demon by one side, while the other was reserved to Dr. Linda Martin, with whom Izzy was beyond glad to become friends as well. Although only the better part of an hour had passed with the three women taking up a fair amount of space by the bar, they were already developing a sense of comfort with one another and that was almost making Isadora forget the reason she was there instead of working a case.

She wasn't quite sure if it was the two drinks she had had — yes, only two but it was enough to make the tall woman's head buzz — or if she had overreacted during her first arrival, but somehow the loud music no longer throbbed in the back of her mind and the swarm of people didn't make her uneasy. Maybe this was what Lucifer had had in mind when creating this scene — to lull even the most unwilling people into a sense of comfort with the hypnotizing neon lights and a tightly knit community, which, despite all the evident differences, was quite similar underneath everything.

"You don't do this a lot", Mazikeen observed in amusement, watching from aside how the redhead swallowed another bitter drink, grimacing in response to the addicting burn before turning to the dark-haired woman with narrowed eyes and a cocked eyebrow.

"Day-drink at the Devil's club while in the company of said Devil's right-hand demon? Oh, and the guy's therapist? You don't say", she couldn't hold back the twinge of sass, a completely unfiltered trait that increased steadily with the amount of alcohol in her system. However, as she proceeded to twirl the toothpick from one of Linda's drinks, her shoulders lifted in a melancholic shrug, "I'm just worried I screwed everything up, y'know? I was just making my first arrest and everything was almost perfect, but then just like that, I'm... being the worst version of myself", she proceeded to ramble away, and the confidence faded with a deep sigh that heavily slipped from between her lips.

Maze stared at her for a while, not quite used to helping out humans and giving advice — if she did, it was always the same one, and that was to kick ass. In this situation, it probably wouldn't help though, so she simply glanced towards Linda, who didn't hesitate to land a comforting hand on Izzy's shoulder and offer a radiating smile in an attempt to lift her spirits.

"No doubt you've already heard this from others, but no one's perfect, Izzy. All the detectives in that department have made mistakes, one way or another. Just think about Lucifer", the blonde snorted, clearly affected by the couple of drinks as well, "I can't tell you anything specific, but I mean, if he is the Devil, then you can guess whether or not he always plays by the rules. Yet, he's still there. And you will be too, trust me. And as for that guilt you feel...", she continued while signaling for the bartender she was growing rather cozy with, and in an instant, the man was carrying new glasses for the three women.