↳ FORTY-TWO

THE BUZZING PRECINCT welcomed Izzy back with open arms despite the evident determination on her usually kind features, many of the officers greeting her as she passed them, and although she made sure to direct a smile or a wave at each o...

          THE BUZZING PRECINCT welcomed Izzy back with open arms despite the evident determination on her usually kind features, many of the officers greeting her as she passed them, and although she made sure to direct a smile or a wave at each of them, there was only one detective she was there for. While Chloe and Lucifer were going to meet up with the mediator, after all, there was only so much the deputy could do — and for now, the reports that still waited to be written took the second place on her list of priorities.

Locating Dan wasn't even remotely hard — much like Izzy had expected, she found the man brooding at his desk with a pudding cup, which the redhead didn't hesitate to slap out of his hand. Instantly, a wave of guilt washed over her at the sight of the gooey dessert spilling over and the downhearted frown that twisted Dan's lips. Still, she stood her ground and saw the plan through, with her hand grabbing the man from his arm and struggling to wrap around his bicep, and her feet stomping towards one of the interrogation rooms.

"Izzy, what are you doing?", Dan sighed wearily, but the woman didn't respond, she simply opened the door and peeked in to ensure that they weren't storming in on an actual interrogation — and once that was confirmed, she shoved Daniel into the room and followed right behind after shutting the door. Already exasperated, Dan shook his head and ran his fingers through his disheveled hair, but until she'd get an explanation for what was going and what had him so moody, Izzy stayed strong and didn't run in for a hug.

"Start talking, dude. You're obviously upset, my friend is neither anywhere to be found nor returning my calls, and Lucifer just appeared out of nowhere with a wife. So, what is happening?", she pleaded, her frustrated stance remaining but not bleeding into her words. If anything, Dan could hear that she was on the verge of falling apart too, and frankly, it wasn't fair to leave her in the dark, and therefore, he couldn't even deny her the right to answers. But, he took his sweet time with giving any.

Licking his lips, Dan heaved his shoulders in a shrug before his hands ended up on his hips and his head shook around once more. He was either avoiding eye contact or facing the truth, but either way, he knew he couldn't lie or insist everything was fine. So, he spoke up. "He's gone", he lifted a hand, as if to present that as the band-aid to all wounds, but as quickly as the words had tumbled out of her mouth, Izzy had narrowed her eyes and choked out a confused laugh.

"Elaborate?", was her simple request, though she already feared she knew what was to come.

With yet another sigh, Dan dropped his hand, and as the silence split apart with the smack of it, Izzy flinched slightly. "I mean, Benji did what Benji always does", he looked over to Isadora, sucking in his bottom lip as he tried to keep himself together. "Things get tough, he runs. I guess I can't blame him. It was really bad, but—Iz, just when I thought I got him back, he leaves again. In the middle of the night, without even saying goodbye, and I want to be angry at him but I just...", he finally let it all out, hand balling into a fist as he explained, but despite the frustration in him, he failed to hide the tears that slowly brimmed in his eyes, "just when I got my brother back, he walks out on me all over again. And it's not like he's just taking a few vacation days. Last time he did this, he didn't come back for years."