↳ FIFTY-TWO

WORRY WAS MELTING into excitement as Izzy placed herself on the other end of the long bar with a shot glass in one hand and her phone in the other, fingers skipping across the screen to make it seem like she was texting when in reality, she was ...

  WORRY WAS MELTING into excitement as Izzy placed herself on the other end of the long bar with a shot glass in one hand and her phone in the other, fingers skipping across the screen to make it seem like she was texting when in reality, she was getting ready to record the ensuing conversation between Bianca and Chet Ruiz. Maybe it was the rush of her career moving forward that got to her again, or maybe it was just the simple enjoyment of working cases and driving at justice, but either way, the woman was feeling good and significantly more relaxed as she leaned on the counter and eyed her surroundings with just enough alert in her gaze, but just enough relaxation in her shoulders.

          Although she certainly had experience when it came to hanging around Lux, Izzy wasn't as much of a certified party person as some of her friends, leaving her feeling a little out of her element — but on the other hand, doing police work was the peak of her comfort-zone, which made it easier to merge with the crowd as inconspicuously as possible. Even more surprising was how casually Chloe was strutting around the place, not to mention the dress that had nearly made Izzy swallow her own tongue once she had laid eyes on the detective, but, she was relieved to see her handle it so well.

         As for Charlotte — well, Izzy had to admit that she was doing a good job, as she successfully got into Bianca's head, but what did such a success require, really? She was a cunning, unreliable person for whom lying was like second nature, and despite her cooperation with the LAPD, Izzy didn't let the facade chip away at her reserved stance towards the attorney. She wasn't quite sure where Charlotte Richards ended and Lucifer's Mother began, but she figured that with such an easy adaptation, the lines had to be blurred somewhere in the middle, that coming off as such a cold-hearted woman wasn't just an act.

        "What did you do?", Bianca's stern, motherly voice snapped Izzy out of her thoughts, the words naturally aimed at her youngest son only a few feet away from the Holt, who was quickly tapping on the record button. She wasn't quite sure how likely it was for them to discuss a murder in public, but in case either of them were to slip, she was paying close attention — and not alone, either, because when her curious gaze roamed to the other side of the bar, she found Chloe sipping on her own drink with open ears and her own phone out, as well.

        It was rather unbelievable, really, how the two of them were at this exclusive party, working together when at the beginning of her career Izzy was not only positive that Decker hated her guts, but stuck under mountains of paperwork. Going into the field had only been a distant dream, yet here she was, living it.

        Between Bianca and Chet, no actual mention of murder happened to be brought up, but to Izzy, removing one of their earners and taking care of problems sounded merely like synonyms. Still, it wasn't enough proof to take them down, so she stayed put — even when the oldest Ruiz remembered to be smart and insisted on talking somewhere more private before dragging her son elsewhere. Luckily, Chloe gave Izzy a knowing look, and as the detective went after the two with a safe amount of distance between them, Isadora could exhale and put a pause on the recording, even if she still kept a close watch on everyone around her. The momentary peace, however, allowed her to be approached by the only Ruiz in the room worthy of her trust.