↳ SIXTEEN

IT WAS GETTING late, yet the night wasn't as dark as Izzy had hoped for, but instead, the slow and steady sunset was illuminating the blush on her cheeks as she and Maze were walking down the street, with Thor in the lead, eager to explo...

          IT WAS GETTING late, yet the night wasn't as dark as Izzy had hoped for, but instead, the slow and steady sunset was illuminating the blush on her cheeks as she and Maze were walking down the street, with Thor in the lead, eager to explore the same bushes and trees he always did. The look of curiosity in Mazikeen's eye signified that she wasn't used to spending time with dogs, and it caused a small, fond smile on Isadora's lips, along with the relaxation that was eventually welcoming relief into her heart and wiping away the stress. Certainly, the conversation she was yet to have with Maze was quite the scary task to take on, but the silent evening with the perfectly painted orange canvas above them and Thor looking cute as ever, she felt undeniably calm.

          Then again, maybe it was the calm before the storm.

          "So, must be something real serious, huh?", Mazikeen smacked her lips together before looking over at Izzy with a bittersweet smile, and confused, the redhead returned the gaze. Chuckling, the demon continued, "I may not be up to date with this whole being human thing, but I recognize a it's not you it's me situation when I see one", taking a long stride as her fingers tangled together with each other, and sighing quietly at the words, Isadora felt guilty — it wasn't like she was going to end their blossoming friendship. She just... needed to step on the brakes a little bit.

          Shaking her head, Izzy offered a comforting smile at the woman. "No—well, yeah. It is me, but I don't want to stop seeing you. I just don't think I can handle waking up in strange bedrooms right now", she tried to form a sentence that made sense, laughing nervously. "I, uh, I haven't really dated anyone in a long time, so...", the deputy trailed off, and with that, Maze suddenly took a step further away from her, causing her shy smile to deepen into a frown. She wasn't really sure what she had said wrong, but with a snap of fingers, the air between them got colder and she knew something had changed.

          With a curt nod, Maze was already agreeing. "Yeah. No problem. Friends it is", she pursed her lips together with a quiet chuckle suffocating in her throat, and after that, she said nothing more. And neither did Izzy — unsure what could be said or done, so instead she tried to focus on Thor, who was trying to yank the leash towards a man cycling past them, always excited to meet new people.

          Frankly, the silence was unbearable, and the fuse in Izzy's mind came near to its end, about to blow up all her thoughts into one giant mess. However, fortunately, before that could happen, her phone rang in her pocket and clearing her throat in gratitude at the intervention to the awkward moment, Isadora dug it out quicker than would have been appropriate in terms of sneaky. "It's Dan", the cop muttered out loud, kind of to herself, kind of to Maze, who peeked at the screen as well, both of them surprised by this — of course, Dan and Izzy were already friends, but surely he had seen her leave with Mazikeen.

          "Dan?", Izzy greeted the man as if making sure it was really him there, and instead of a comfortable peace, her ear was invaded by blaring sirens and lots of worried voices, one of which belonged to Detective Espinoza himself. "Dan, you there?", the deputy was growing worried now, and Maze knitted her eyebrows together as well, puzzled by the troubled look on Isadora's face.