↳ THIRTY

OFFICIALLY THE SUPERSTAR of the courthouse, Diane Holt had impeccably shut Attorney Richards up with her fool-proof answers and cooperation, and Izzy was undeniably pleased to see the annoyance on Charlotte's face when she dismissed her...

           OFFICIALLY THE SUPERSTAR of the courthouse, Diane Holt had impeccably shut Attorney Richards up with her fool-proof answers and cooperation, and Izzy was undeniably pleased to see the annoyance on Charlotte's face when she dismissed her mother from the stand. The title would have been shared with Lucifer, if it wasn't for what had come next — the man's show of a testimony was lit on fire when Charlotte had used his own words against him, and Chloe's connection to the case steered the focus away from Smith. Izzy was seething, her mind unable to understand how Charlotte could make it seem like Chloe was the one to blame for all of this when the villain of the story was sitting right next to her, but there wasn't anything she could do about it.

          She could only be there for the grieving daughter, all about those comforting little brushes and reassuring smiles whenever she could, unable to even picture the pain Chloe was desperately trying to kick through. Although straying away from her father was still a thorn in her side, it wasn't comparable to a murdered parent.

          Once the judge had ordered a break, Izzy was following the others' lead and heading outside for some fresh air, her mind racing with the chaotic swarm of thoughts as she dug out her phone, only for everything to come to an absolute halt at the sight of Maze's name on the screen. Despite the heavy atmosphere lingering in the air, a smile touched her lips and she suddenly became very aware of the birds singing in the distance and the warm light peeking from behind the drifting storm clouds. It was odd, how only a couple of text messages could spark a new round of hope in her, but furthermore, the worry in Maze's request to meet up later that night after such an awful day, made her heart soar. She knew that unlimited care and affection couldn't always be expected from the demon, and she had come to terms with that, but here she was now, looking after Izzy.

           After sending back a grateful reply in agreement to see each other afterwards, Izzy sighed heavily and glanced around, simply to find Charlotte and Dan almost body to body, the woman whispering something in his ear before strutting away. Eyebrows knitted together, Isadora didn't hesitate to adjust her suit jacket and bounce down the many steps of the courthouse as soon as Charlotte had wandered off, her hand already out to swat Dan's arm, yet in the end, she elected to take a different approach. "That the lucky lady?", her mischievous smile taunted Dan, who jumped at the unexpected company, eyes wide and alert when he turned around to face her.

          With a groan, Dan stepped closer, his voice already dropping low. "Look, I know what that looked like, but I promise—", he was evidently on edge, so without even letting him rant away, Izzy placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder and laughed lightly.

          "Easy, tiger. I don't blame you, okay? I know whose side you're on. And, I mean, she is goddess-like, but... just be careful. I don't want you to be naive and get hurt", she tilted her head to the side, and as Dan met her gaze with a hint of embarrassment and regret, the woman pursed her lips into a smile and softly patted his cheek. "Don't let her walk all over you, is all I'm saying", Izzy advised, knowing a thing or two about being a people-pleaser, and well-aware that even if Dan was a brave, self-assured guy, people went to impossible lengths to be with the people they were enamored with.