↳ FORTY-EIGHT

WITH SIX WORDS, seemingly innocent but in truth a vessel for something far more significant and loaded, Amenadiel had irreversibly shifted the mood of the dinner party, at least on the behalf of him, Mazikeen and Isadora

WITH SIX WORDS, seemingly innocent but in truth a vessel for something far more significant and loaded, Amenadiel had irreversibly shifted the mood of the dinner party, at least on the behalf of him, Mazikeen and Isadora. The air no longer felt warm and welcoming, with a whiff of wine lulling them into a sense of comfort, but instead, it was charged with tension Izzy didn't know how to even begin to unpack — it was obvious that Amenadiel was feeling either guilty or remorseful, but either way, he hadn't wasted much time in saying his goodbyes, whereas Maze was paralyzed with a toxic mixture of anger and heartbreak. Her face was barely moving, with the exception of the tick of her eyebrow and the annoyed twitch of her lips, and Isadora was smart enough to keep her hands off of her clenched arms, even if she stood right next to her with her doe eyes gazing upon the woman in profound concern.

And she didn't know what to say, what could possibly take away the hurt of being left out of something as big as this — and simultaneously, her own slice of aching due to the looming possibility of Lucifer just leaving them, but she was trying to have hope — but she could always try. "Hey", Izzy's voice was much weaker than anticipated, forcing her to clear her throat as she very cautiously moved away the strands of dark hair that had fallen onto Maze's eyes, simply to make it easier for her sympathetic stare to lock with hers. "Just so you know, I'm not going anywhere. I won't leave you and—and I won't leave you out of anything, I promise. I got you", the Holt reassured with a soft voice, knowing how much those words held meaning.

After all, when it came to things that united them rather than attracted them as opposites, it was the hardships brought upon them by relationships — Maze was still new and vulnerable to all the possibilities, and Izzy had had her fair share of heartbreak before, most recently because of Spencer Holt, but they could find solace in one another during those times. And, as scary as it was to rely on one person, put all your faith in someone who could very easily tear it all apart, Izzy had no intention to ever do that to Maze, and she suspected that the demon was trying her damnest to stay on the right path, too. They both knew abandonment, though granted, in different ways but it didn't bite away at the relevance of it all.

Almost surprised to hear such frank words leave Izzy's mouth, Maze glanced up at her with a hooded gaze, trying her very best to appear cold and cruel, but Isadora, if anyone, knew how that barely scratched the surface. And so, when the demon licked her lips in an attempt to say something but only leaned closer, Izzy flashed a compassionate smile and stretched her arm a little wider to welcome her into a loving embrace.

However, before the two lovers could find silent peace in one another's arms, Chloe spoke up, her stern voice splitting the eerie silence billowing through the apartment. "Izzy, we need to go. Lucifer broke out of the hospital and took God Johnson with him", the detective quirked an eyebrow, quickly hopping on the bandwagon of being frustrated with the Devil, and as Izzy's gaze strayed from the Decker to Dr. Garrity, she supposed that the man rushing towards the front door was on the list, too. Isadora, however, was trying not to jump into conclusions — Lucifer was hardly ever a simple man with only one story to tell, and that was why she suspected he had a good reason, or at least good intentions behind this latest trick, too.