↳ THIRTY-THREE

IZZY HAD NEVER been more confused in her life — not even when she had first started to question her sexuality, not even when her father had walked out on them

   IZZY HAD NEVER been more confused in her life — not even when she had first started to question her sexuality, not even when her father had walked out on them. This time, she was paralyzed with doubt and uncertainty, and there was no magic cure to snap her out of it. She just needed to think things over — how Maze was actually a demon and how she had fallen in love, and how she still hadn't fallen out of love, which was hardly the tip of the iceberg. Her head was so full of questions, and her heart was dripping with anger yet also frustration and grief, and there was only so much one person could do and handle. So, she let the current take her with, leaving her cooped up in her bed for hours, an endless loop as she silently hugged Thor under the covers and refused to close her eyes. No, instead, she stared at the wall, too busy thinking and too scared of what she would see, and stayed up with the hours blurring together and night turning into day without her ever fully comprehending it.

          Diane had given her best efforts to helping — she had made food, a lot of food, everything from tea to coffee and she had offered movies and chocolate and music and calling the LAPD that she needed a sick day. But even with the thermometer under her arm and a glass of water to keep her company on the nightstand, she didn't get better, and she never called work. Izzy, simply, didn't move, or eat, or communicate. Words were stuck in her dry throat and the only one she accepted for comfort was Thor, even the dog noticing that something was wrong with his mom, far worse than ever before.

          Izzy didn't even know where to begin with the chaotic storm of emotions. She was hurt because Maze had kept the truth from her for months, yet at the same time, she ached for the demon. Knowing that all the horrible things that she had thought to be metaphors or exaggerations, were true, that she had walked through literal hellfire, was too much. And then again, she was hurt by her own stupidity, how she had just laughed in their faces or gone along with the game whenever the words demon or Devil were brought up, not to mention Heaven or Hell, which apparently existed as well. While Izzy had never been an atheist, she hadn't believed either, and now, the choice was stripped from her. Because she had fallen for an actual demon, and one of her closest friends just so happened to be the Devil. She had shaken hands with an angel. Watched Dan make out with the Goddess of All Creation. That alone was enough to give her a headache, and not dealing with it all would have been so much easier, but there was no way to end the flow of thoughts.

          It wasn't like she could sleep, anyway. So she stayed up, wondering if, at any point, she had been in danger. If she had put her mother in danger. If Dan, Chloe, and Ella were currently in danger. And Benjamin — poor, clueless Benjamin, dating Lucifer Morningstar, living the same lie Izzy had. Whether or not she liked it, she was scared, all the way to her bones, worried that she'd never see a day of peace again. Of course, none of them had ever hurt her, but could she ever come to terms with the idea of being completely safe in their company, either?