↳ TWENTY-ONE

IZZY HAD QUITE liked The Paddock, for several reasons, really

     IZZY HAD QUITE liked The Paddock, for several reasons, really. Not only was the atmosphere there somehow united, perhaps because it was generally known as the hangout for cops, but because that also meant the stools and walls had many tales to tell. By the second drink — one of the best she had ever had, no less — Izzy was keenly listening to Chloe rant about a case that had once painted her with the wrong colors and how Lucifer had punched a fellow detective in this very bar. Of course, the end of the story was far more dramatic, with said cop ending up dead through a framed suicide, and just like Izzy had believed from the beginning, Chloe had been right and gotten closure by shooting the bad guy after having her daughter kidnapped and Lucifer taking a bullet in the stomach. "Geesh, I'm almost sad I missed that", Izzy hadn't been able to resist a comment, earning a laugh from Chloe.

          The fact that the bar reminded one from Izzy's past also played a part in the appreciation that she had quickly developed for the place, nostalgic warmth swallowing her heart whole as she had lounged by the bar and sipped on her beer.

          "Oh, what's the bar? Could I have visited it before?", Chloe had attempted to keep the conversation flowing, but the snort that Izzy had reacted with didn't give much hope.

         "Depends", she had lifted an eyebrow, "how many Canadian lesbian bars have you been to?", making Chloe nearly choke on her drink — it was safe to say the answer was zero. "Well, the night's still young", Izzy had teased with a grin, fondly remembering the first time she had discovered the place in her younger years. As much as she loved her grandparents and visiting them in the North, Izzy's parents had been foolish to think that was the sole reason she was always so eager to return.

          The night had ended with them parting ways laughing, a light buzz keeping them at their toes, but it hadn't been about the drinking — it had been about spending time together and talking. And Izzy, while on the way to home, had smiled at the realization that it had been a success.

          The following days weren't too bad, either. Truthfully, they all needed a break, some relief granted amidst all the troubles, and as Izzy successfully helped with some breaking-and-enterings, plotted a way to face Mazikeen, and worked on the side case Dan had practically begged for her to take a look at, things were already looking brighter. The latter was perhaps taking up most of the space in Izzy's already anxious mind — she was not yet willing to talk about it with others, but this time, it wasn't because of her. It was because of someone else, and for their sake, she was keeping quiet and investigating the matter alone in the depths of her room after work, the files and papers neatly organized in her color-coordinated closet.

          She was busy, to say the least, but that hadn't stopped her from sitting down and talking about her troubles with Diane, and Linda, who had graciously made room in her calendar for a few sessions for the woman. Things with the latter had gone unexpectedly downhill, though, as the doctor had canceled their upcoming time together without further explanation, leaving Izzy wracking her mind about what she could have done wrong. Little did she know, she wasn't the one who had revealed too much, but she wasn't allowed this tiny piece of information — her attempts to text her, or stop by her office, were rejected by Linda, who simply insisted that she couldn't bear to talk about those topics. About them.