↳ THIRTY-ONE

WHO WOULD'VE KNOWN that Mazikeen, an alleged demon, was actually a big fan of spooning — not Izzy, that was for sure, but she was pleasantly surprised to wake up with the scarcely shorter woman's arm around her waist, legs melted together underneath the warm covers, Thor asleep on top of their feet. The piercing guitar solo of her ringtone, however, made Izzy groan as she rose from within the stack of pillows they had sunk into, and with a few haphazard slams onto the nightstand, she managed to grab the vibrating phone.

"Uh, yes?", her groggy morning voice pulled Maze from her slumber as well, a smile appearing on the demon's face as Izzy rubbed her eyes and rested on her elbow. The other side of the line was inaudible to Maze, but she did enjoy listening to Izzy's voice as the latter questioned the reason behind the call, then fell into a state of surprise while asking if the woman on the line was absolutely certain, and then proceeded to thank her repeatedly — whatever was going on, ended with Izzy laughing breathlessly and fist-bumping the air, and right before Maze could open her eyes and ask what had happened, the redhead grabbed one of the fluffy pillows and hit her in the face with it.

"I just got the best news, oh my God, I made a break in the case, I actually did it — I did some police work and I actually figured it out, oh my God, I need to call Dan", Isadora rambled happily, her gushing and giggling earning a bark from Thor who had lifted his head as well. Wiping away the hair that had escaped her ponytail and hugging the pillow slammed onto her face, Maze smiled up at Izzy, who didn't stop bouncing on the mattress until the bounty hunter took her hand, effectively causing her to freeze.

"I'm proud of you, babe. Always knew you were an A+ cop", Mazikeen praised, using her free hand to invite her closer with a wiggle of her finger, and unable to resist, Izzy didn't let her widening grin to stop her from crouching down and giving Maze's lips a deep kiss. With the dark-haired woman's hand crawling to the back of Isadora's head to hold her close, Izzy threatened to topple over and roll on top of her, but at last second, she pulled away and pressed her index finger to Mazikeen's parting mouth, still clearly desperate for more.

With a teasing smile, Izzy drew herself away, not even sure how she had the strength to do so. "I'm gonna call Dan", she began, fingertips trailing down Maze's arm, "then I'm gonna brush my teeth", eyes meeting hers, "and then I'm gonna give you a lot more of this, but until then, you can have Thor." In an instant, Mazikeen's mischievous smirk was fading away, and Izzy couldn't stop herself from giggling as she gently swooped an arm around Thor and hoisted the dog onto her lap, the sight of Maze lifting her arms and cluelessly staring at the excited Cocker Spaniel one that she was going to cherish for a long time.

She was happy to feel the heavy weight of the trial wash away, although she knew that Chloe was going to need a lot more comfort and time to cope with the loss, but for today, Izzy was going to revel in her own little victory and hope that it was a sign of better times coming their way.