↳ THIRTY-SIX

IT WAS ODD, if anything, that Izzy could still feel the chafing of the hospital sheets against her skin, yet now, here she stood — on the other side of Chloe's room, staring at the woman laid out on the hospital bed while Benjamin and ...

IT WAS ODD, if anything, that Izzy could still feel the chafing of the hospital sheets against her skin, yet now, here she stood — on the other side of Chloe's room, staring at the woman laid out on the hospital bed while Benjamin and Trixie gathered around her with sad gazes and comforting embraces. Everything had happened in a blink of an eye, really, just as Izzy had gotten home, Chloe had been found in her bathroom with an endless nosebleed, and not much later, she had passed out and been driven to the hospital. Just as Dan had asked, Izzy had picked up his daughter and brother on the way, and now that the small family was reuniting on what hopefully wasn't going to be Chloe's deathbed, the deputy stood outside and cursed the job she loved so much, yet hated at the same time. Well, maybe not the job itself, but the dangers and the criminals her geeky mind painted as villains, that sometimes took all the effort to beat.

Witnessing the same stages she had gone through was rather overwhelming for Izzy. There was a drastic difference between being the one squirming on the bed and trying to make it through the wildfire raging within the entire body, and being the one to watch from aside how a loved one unraveled and was, one way or another, losing the battle. Somehow, even though this time she wasn't on the verge of death, it didn't hurt Izzy any less to be free of the pain only to watch someone else ridden with it. And even after everything, even after knowing how much it hurt in every sense of the word, she wouldn't have hesitated to switch places with Chloe if she could.

"Hey", Dan's voice snapped Isadora out of the deep end of her thoughts eventually, and while turning around to face him, she dropped her arms from the hug she had subconsciously fallen into. Instead of comforting herself, she took a step towards Dan, who was way ahead of her and didn't hesitate to wrap both arms around her. "How you holding up?", the man sighed softly, and Izzy didn't miss the lack of strength in the squeeze he gave her, clearly still treating her like precious cargo, but she appreciated the concern. The week had taken a toll on her.

"Uh, I'm much better, thanks for asking", Izzy nodded as she parted from Dan, but once she gave a look at his face, her eyes flew open. "Woah, I think I should be the one asking that question, actually", her eyebrows knitted together as one of her hands gripped his jaw gently and the other inspected the gash on his left cheekbone, perfectly lined with an already forming colorful bruise. The day had hardly kicked off, but he had wasted no time in getting his ass kicked, and the sight made Izzy sigh and give him a stern look. "What happened?", she was trying to wash out the blaming tone of her voice, but the genuine concern didn't do much of a job in covering it up, in the end.

Shaking his head, Dan gingerly took Izzy's hands and lowered them from his face, though the hold never dropped. "It's not important. What is important, is that we have the list of ingredients. But we're missing the instructions, so we don't know how to make the antidote and we can't take the risk of making a random mix", the detective closed his eyes for a second, as if to try and escape the nightmarish reality they had all been sucked into, and as much as Izzy wished that was possible, she could only frown and pat his cheek carefully.