↳ FORTY-FOUR

ALL THE TIME that Izzy had spent away from this part of Los Angeles had failed to affect the way she saw the surroundings — even with all the negative memories, there was something about the atmosphere that made her smile, from the peopl...

          ALL THE TIME that Izzy had spent away from this part of Los Angeles had failed to affect the way she saw the surroundings — even with all the negative memories, there was something about the atmosphere that made her smile, from the people around her to the coffee shops she remembered quite well. She was used to living in the same small area, even if work sometimes took her all over the city, but visiting the place she had been stopping by every now and then since she was a teenager was always a nostalgic experience. There was a dog park she still claimed her own personal Heaven after that one occasion of being buried in puppies, and then there was the supermarket where she had openly flirted with a girl for the first time ever, and from where she picked up a cake to bring with her to Spencer this time too. Nothing ever stayed the same, but somehow, it all felt like it there.

        Needless to say, a heavy anvil of anxiety was making Izzy tap her fingers against the plastic cover of the cake and her weight shift from one foot to the other as she waited on the porch of Spencer's house. The place didn't differ all that much from the home they had all shared once, but one drastic change was that no happy families lived in this one. They had been that, but Spencer had torn it all apart, yet now, as he lived without a new family, Izzy couldn't help but feel some semblance of pity towards the man. Not always — sometimes she felt like he deserved it, but that was the more bitter side of her talking.

        But when she finally found the courage to knock on the door, and the footfalls coming from inside were followed by Spencer swinging it open, Izzy broke into a wide smile, just happy to see him after so long. And as always, Spencer was grinning within seconds as well, and with both of them cautious about the cake, they met in the doorway with their arms accepting one another into a longing hug. It always started out promising — to anyone watching from aside, it looked just like a father and a daughter reuniting, all smiles and encouragements to step inside while complimenting the house and asking if the drive across L.A had gone well. There was a lot in their relationship that seemed so healthy and loving, but that was only as long as certain things remained unspoken.

        "How have you been, Izzy?", Spencer wondered loudly as he stepped into the large kitchen to pour them both the coffee he had prepared after hearing that his daughter was coming to visit again. Taking her time to think about the question, and whether or not go into detail about the struggles she had faced, Isadora trailed around the house, noting the lack of family photos, and the dried-up plants he had neglected, before reaching the other entrance to the kitchen and leaning against the wall.

        "A mix of good and bad", Izzy settled for a cryptic answer while shrugging, and already suspecting work was the next topic, the woman licked her lips and stepped over to the table to draw out a chair and sit down. "Same with work, really. A few dangerous situations aside, it's been great. I love my co-workers and I have an awesome boss and being able to help people has been... fulfilling", the redhead crossed her hands and smiled up at Spencer, who offered one of two steaming mugs for her, before sitting down on the other side of the table and taking a sip of his own.