↳ THIRTY-SEVEN

A DEAD GIVEAWAY of her mixed feelings, silence was all Izzy could bring to the table as she sat next to the hospital bed Lucifer had settled into, her leg making its usual anxious bounce while she watched from aside

     A DEAD GIVEAWAY of her mixed feelings, silence was all Izzy could bring to the table as she sat next to the hospital bed Lucifer had settled into, her leg making its usual anxious bounce while she watched from aside. The man's shirt was undone and the defibrillator's wires had been attached to his bare chest, yet he didn't seem half as nervous as Izzy who had refused the flask that he was now casually sipping on. Time was ticking away at a torturous pace and every passing second was putting Izzy on edge — suddenly, the idea of sending Lucifer to Hell by stopping his heart didn't sound so intriguing anymore, but every time she wanted to pull the cord on the whole ordeal, she had to remind herself that Chloe's life depended on it. It was a situation she hadn't hoped, or even really expected to find herself in, but she had to face the facts — this was the new normal, and it was happening, with or without her.

         "I'm gonna give you 60 seconds, then restart your heart to bring you back", Linda's voice cut through the buzz of Izzy's busy thoughts, and with her eyes alert and attentive, the deputy turned to Dr. Martin who was nervously checking the defibrillator. Isadora didn't blame her — she was a wreck herself, and she wasn't even the one to push Lucifer to the other side, no, that task had fallen to Mazikeen, who gulped down the remains of the flask desperately. The fact that even the soul torturer was having second thoughts said something, but Lucifer wasn't the slightest bit worried.

         "60 seconds? I've had orgasms that last longer", he complained blatantly, and although the sass she would surely miss if things were to go awry made her smile, Isadora didn't hesitate to swat his arm in disapproval. This was no time for jokes — or maybe it was exactly what they needed, but Izzy didn't want to miss out on the plan. They needed to be prepared for anything, without actually being able to prepare for such craziness, and the lack of routine and certainty was making Izzy's anxiety go haywire.

        "Time moves much slower down there. Remember?", Maze reminded, and the odd words earned a confused stare from Isadora, who was still puzzled if anything. About it all, really, just the mere concept of Hell actually existing, and she was going to have a lot of questions afterwards when they were no longer worried about someone's life or death situation.

        When Lucifer tried to argue further, Linda stepped in with a firm stare. "60 seconds is already cutting it closer than I'd like. The brain only lasts three minutes after death", she sounded very professional, but before Izzy could be impressed with her knowledge, the blonde was continuing, "or so I read. Just now. Like, on the ride over. Why am I doing this again?", panic earning a foothold in her faltering tone. It was right there and then, that Izzy realized that she couldn't possibly witness this — she was of no use, Linda was not trained for this, Lucifer was going to great lengths at the cost of self-destruction and even Mazikeen's hands shook while she grasped the defibrillator pads.

        It was a plan destined for doom, and Izzy didn't have it in her to just stand aside and stare Lucifer in the eye as he would die, and maybe never come back. She had seen many dark and gruesome things, but her friend's voluntary death was not one she was willingly going to experience. However, she knew that whatever she'd say would not encourage him to back down, so instead of fighting that particular fight, Izzy leaned over and hesitantly pressed a soft kiss on Lucifer's forehead — and she tried not to think about the fact that her lips had officially touched the Devil.