↳ TWENTY-NINE

YESTERDAY'S SUNSHINE HAD, very fittingly, turned into a rolling thunderstorm with sprinkles of rain making the city even grayer by the second, and accordingly, the people in it carried themselves with a sense of moodiness as well

      YESTERDAY'S SUNSHINE HAD, very fittingly, turned into a rolling thunderstorm with sprinkles of rain making the city even grayer by the second, and accordingly, the people in it carried themselves with a sense of moodiness as well. For Izzy and her friends, it wasn't just the weather, though, it was what it represented today — the first day of Perry Smith's trial, and another day with the Deckers desperately trying to claim justice for John. While last night had ended on a good note, with Maze giving Izzy a good night kiss and Lucifer calling her to inform that Lux had been saved, the Holt didn't hesitate to take the enthusiasm down a notch and settle into the new role the next morning. Today was going to be a hard one, and as the thick clouds billowed over them as an attempt to hide the sunshine, Izzy devoted herself to being the little ray of hope that everyone, especially Chloe, was going to need.

         As the day kicked off, Isadora found herself seated on Dan's couch, a glass in hand with only the very bottom flowing with whiskey, eyes sad and the atmosphere serious. She was struggling to forget about the last time she had seen him, but for the sake of the solemnity they were wrapped up in, Izzy didn't poke the subject, just sat opposite the man who was equally silent. They had already talked about the case and what was needed of them to keep things running smoothly before they'd head over to the trial and see it play out. Dan had been alerted about having to go on the stand, and Diane had the same fate, but Izzy was saved from the spotlight today — she was given the luxury of sitting down and following from aside, instead.

         If there was someone who was going to walk into a spotlight, however, it was Benjamin Espinoza, whom Izzy and Dan had promised to drive to the courthouse. The only problem was, the man wasn't at home, but it hadn't taken the two cops long to figure out where he had spent the night, hence the patient waiting in the living room, until the front door creaked.

         Turning to the sound, only to find a cautious Benji trying to sneak in, Izzy flashed a grin. "Did you have fun?", her voice was dripping with satisfaction as she greeted the man, and facing his best friend and brother like a deer in headlights, Benjamin's mouth fell open only for nothing to come out. The hickeys on his neck, however, spoke in volumes and in an instant, both Izzy and Dan were gasping, with the exception of Dan being much less excited.

         For a while, anyway. "Okay, I'll let this slide, but only because I actually had a guest over, too", Dan radiated with pride and joy as he got up from the couch and properly greeted his younger brother, and already grimacing at the reminder, Izzy looked away, missing the high-five that Benjamin prompted.

         "Am I the only one not having sex?", she elected to complain, dismay evident on her features as she, too, stood up and crossed her arms over her chest. It wasn't that she wasn't pleased with the development between her and Mazikeen, but she could smell the manly pride lingering in the air, and that successfully forced a grim look to her face. Snorting at expression, Benji didn't hesitate to toss his arm over her shoulders and direct her a reassuring but fully teasing smirk.